True20 Adventure Roleplaying

True fun, true excitement, true adventure: True20!

Combat Unit Question - Unit vs. Individual

Ask your True20 rules questions here, or answer questions from other True20 fans. And don't be surprised if you get official answers as well!

Combat Unit Question - Unit vs. Individual

Postby seawolf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I am running a large scale epic combat that I had hoped that the Combat Unit rules would help simplify but Have a question about damage dealt by a Combat unit.

How does it translate in a Combat Unit Vs. Individual combat situation?

As per the Warrior HB - "Combat: As component creature, modified by bonuses from commander effects and unit size."

Based on this, I assume that a Team Unit of 5 with Blaster Rifles that do +10 will get a Unit bonus of +2, giving their Combat Unit damage +12

I am seeing Individual damage and Unit damage as two different things, I think.

I will have combat units of Team size but I will also have small mecha like robots that the units will need to take out. But I do not think a Team Unit that causes +12 would do that little against a Huge mecha robot, would it?

Am I missing something? I realize it is supposed to be abstract and I like that for the unit vs. unit situations, but as you can see I won't have just those situations.

Thoughts?
seawolf

Re: Combat Unit Question - Unit vs. Individual

Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:19 pm

The short explanation: The Combat Unit rules turn a group of similar creatures into a single creature (one toughness track, one attack roll, one damage, etc.) to make it faster and easier to run mass combat (and to make the group slightly less dangerous to a single target by not requiring multiple Toughness saves).

Unit Damage is on exactly the same scale as Individual damage. It just includes an additional static bonus rather than following the usual team attack rules - faster and simpler to run. This means that the 5 man combat team with heavy blasters (10 damage) has combat bonuses of +1 attack and +2 damage - like two characters were combining damage and the rest of the team was assisting their attack rolls.
So, against the huge mecha they get an extra +1 to attacks (versus the individual members) and "automatically team attack" for +2 damage (12 damage). Depending upon how powerful mecha are in the setting, 12 damage (DC 27 Toughness) may be enough to kill them in one shot or so little that it can't even chip the paint.
The latter means that Infantry needs to stay the heck away from mecha.
ValhallaGH

Postby seawolf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

I am not entirely sure that makes sense though. I could be wrong. If that same unit was shooting at a single player character, they would do more damage then a +12, wouldn't they.. I guess tey are taking into account misses, etc.

OK, I'll run with that then.

Ron
seawolf

Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Yep, it short-hands the idea that some of the guys will miss into the bonuses provided.

Some will miss, some will fail to assist, and some will be unable to roll for various reasons. But rather than worry about all the individuals, it just adds a flat bonus to attack, damage, defense, and toughness. Which lets it operate on exactly the same combat rules as everyone else. (Check out the combined attack rules in True 20 for how damage is added together - basically each successful attack adds +2 to the highest damage, forcing a harder toughness save.)
ValhallaGH

Return to True20 Rules