the Italian true20 community needs your help!

Ask your True20 rules questions here, or answer questions from other True20 fans. And don't be surprised if you get official answers as well!
LaNotteEterna

the Italian true20 community needs your help!

Post by LaNotteEterna » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:38 am

Hi everyone,

my name is Jason Forbus, I'm the author of a true20 dark-fantasy setting in Italian entitled La Notte Eterna.

Unfortunately, the only manual that has been translated and published into Italian is the player's handbook, and the publisher that bought the rights does not want to publish other true20 products nor sell its rights to anyone who could be interested. Nice, eh?

Well, I am currently working on the 2nd Underdark manual of the setting, and I desperately need your help to implement the very basic true20 rules we have here in Italy. In particular, I would need:

1) medieval weapons, armors, shields, and generally speaking adventurers' equipment and vehicles converted into true20 (the manual we have only reports 4 archaic armors);

2) supernatural powers, supernatural objects;

3) supernatural powers fatigue alternative rules;

4) damage points alternative rules.

Please help us in making this great roleplay system available to the Italian RPG public. You can e-mail me at info@lanotteeterna.com or reply here.

Thank you for your help, guys!!

Jason

Baduin

Re: the Italian true20 community needs your help!

Post by Baduin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:12 am

Why do you need a licence? True20 is published under Open Game LIcence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License

http://true20.com/licensing-true20.php

"If you want to publish your own True20 material, you can take advantage of the True20 Adventure Roleplaying Trademark License. This is a free license that must be used in conjunction with the Open Game License. You can download a copy of the license on this page. There's also an FAQ."

"Q: Can I use this license to do product in other languages?

A: Yes, you can. The only additional limitation is that you must follow the terminology used in the appropriate True20 corebook if it exists in the language you're going to use. For example, Wyrd Edizione publishes True20 in Italy. If you want to do Italian language True20 material, you must follow the translation standards of Wyrd's version of the core rulebook. This is to ensure that terminology remains consistent in each language."

As for free rules and conversions, there are some on the web:

http://true20.wikidot.com/

http://www.dino-pirates.com/
http://true20.wikidot.com/true20-fantasy-variant
http://true20.wikidot.com/hyborian-adventures
http://taharqa.org/PaxThumanus/

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Baduin, and thank you for your reply.

I believe we need a license to publish True20 official manuals in Italian, since such a license has been purchased by Italian publisher Wyrd Edizioni. Now, to our dismay, neither Wyrd nor Green Ronin has replied to any of our e-mails and this is leaving us with no other option than publishing a setting devoid of the rules offered by the bestiary and other T20 releases.

If only they would reply to us, and grant us permission to publish the manuals in Italian, this fascinating system could really take off over here.

Dahak

Post by Dahak » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't think Wyrd can legally prevent you from using the elements of the other books that are open content (and frankly that's most of it). You have to use the same terminology as the Wyrd version (example: if they use a different word for Initiative, you must do the same). Consult a lawyer for your region to be sure, but unless Wyrd has enough money to harassment sue you (and I hope GR wouldn't do business with that sort of company), you should be alright.

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi Dahak, things would be so much easier if GR or Wyrd would answer my e-mails and phone calls. If I go and talk to a lawyer, for example, the guy is probably going to ask me some details I can't provide him with... it is very frustrating.

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 am

Dear true20 players, I'm happy to inform you that we are about to re-publish the Italian True20 handbook! We are however only interested in the "medieval" rules of the game, that is swords, feats and skills that are specifically designed for fantasy settings. I therefore have three questions (sorry for being so pedant, but lawsuits are at stake!):

1) Would you recommend us any good fantasy rule that is not present in the True20 Player's Handbook?

2) Can we actually publish the true20 rules (specifying that a previous version was published by Wyrd Edizioni, and giving all due credits to the developers and copyright owners of the true20 system) without owin money to anyone?

3) Provided that we do not translate any true20 terms that were already translated into Italian any differently, can we translate other true20 terms that were never translated into whichever way we deem fit?

Thank you for your help!

Jason

Baduin

Post by Baduin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

Look at the Open Gaming License page in the previous Italian version - it will explain what you can copy.

Rimlar

Post by Rimlar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm

I wonder if there is an Italian principal of law or ruling similar to FL108 in the US?
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

Mike

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 am

At this points, I'd like to know if the True20 is registered as a literary work? If so, I would like to present you with a dilemma: should we copy the text exactly as it's been translated into Italian (as the open game license would seem to suggest), or change it (as the US copyright rules in regards to games?).

I'm at a loss... All we want to do is revive the true20 system in Italy.

Baduin

Post by Baduin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Yes, True20 rules are subject to normal copyright. In order to publish them, you must have a license, which is provided in the form of Open Gaming License. As long as you fulfill the terms of the licence, you have the right to publish the rules exactly as they have been published before (with the exception of specifically excluded parts) or to modify them (create a derivative work) - for example translate them - and all this free of charge. You derivative work must also be published under OGL - so it also may be republished by others.

In regard to translations, there seems to be one additional stipulation:

A: Yes, you can. The only additional limitation is that you must follow the terminology used in the appropriate True20 corebook if it exists in the language you're going to use. For example, Wyrd Edizione publishes True20 in Italy. If you want to do Italian language True20 material, you must follow the translation standards of Wyrd's version of the core rulebook. This is to ensure that terminology remains consistent in each language."

If you want to call your game "True20" you must also have the right to the trademark (this is an absolutely separate right regulated by separate statutes and international treaties).

"If you want to publish your own True20 material, you can take advantage of the True20 Adventure Roleplaying Trademark License. This is a free license that must be used in conjunction with the Open Game License. You can download a copy of the license on this page. There's also an FAQ."

Without the license to the Trademark, you can publish your game, but you cannot call it True20.

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:16 am

That is the most thorough answer I could have hoped for, thank you Baduin!

So... we can call our setting La Notte Eterna, and include the true20 rules within the handbook, as long as we attain our transcription to the previous translation by Wyrd Edizioni, that is. Did I get it right?

I'll keep you updated in regards to our progress. :P

Baduin

Post by Baduin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

There are two possibilities:
- You could use the already existing True20 Italian translation. It contains OGL licence page, which explains which parts of it can be freely reprinted.
-You could translate True20 into Italian independently - but using the terminology from the previous translation. In that case, you are not bound by the OGL of the Italian version, only of the English version.

Green Ronin has a program to allow free trademark licence to use the name "True20". However, this is independent from OGL. If you want to use that name, you must find the relevant page on the site and check the conditions.

LaNotteEterna

Post by LaNotteEterna » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:35 pm

The books are titled after the name of the setting (La Notte Eterna), and are based on the True20 system, of which we are publishing some of the rules (the ones designed for fantasy setting) within the book.

Thank you all for your help, and I'll keep you updated with the latest.