Question on Cold Shaping

Ask your True20 rules questions here, or answer questions from other True20 fans. And don't be surprised if you get official answers as well!
Hozartis

Question on Cold Shaping

Post by Hozartis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 am

I cast Cold Shaping on an enemy. I succeed the Cold Shaping check scoring, 17.

What follows is:

1) Do they make a fortitude save against 15 (default for exposure to a cold environment)? Or does my 17 cold shaping check become the DC?

2) Also, since this power is maintenance: Do they have to make a Fort save every round I maintain the spell on them, or do I have to recast it repetitively to bring them down fatigue levels?

3) Finally, when exposed to cold weather, the person must make a fortitude save (difficulty 15, +1 per previous check) or receive a level of fatigue. Does this automatically increase DC of my cold shaping check?
e.g. If I maintain cold shaping on an enemy, each round he must make a higher and higher fort save, with no effort on my part.

ValhallaGH

Re: Question on Cold Shaping

Post by ValhallaGH » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:15 am

1) The Save DC (for any power) is the power save DC (10 + 1/2 Adept level + Key ability) unless explicitly stated otherwise. Cold Shaping doesn't specify, therefore it uses the standard formula.

2) You can maintain freezing cold, at which point they make checks with the same frequency they would to resist cold weather (per minute is the highest frequency). The point of the maintenance option is to augment all the other uses, not the "damaging" one.

3) Yes, but not like you mean. What it means is that if you maintained it on a target long enough to force multiple resistance checks (minimum 10 rounds) then the DC would increase by +1 per previous check.
This part is fuzzy, and I know many Narrators who would put the initial save as fitting for the power, and then put all subsequent saves off the standard DC 15. The in-game logic being that the supernatural blast of cold is remarkably intense and difficult, but that subsequent checks are simply the body fighting off cold as normal. The game balance logic is that a DC 28 check to resist cold is nasty enough - having subsequent checks start as if the victim had already spent a half-day in the cold is not fun.