True20 Adventure Roleplaying

True fun, true excitement, true adventure: True20!

Damage Conditions

Ask your True20 rules questions here, or answer questions from other True20 fans. And don't be surprised if you get official answers as well!

Damage Conditions

Postby maded » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 am

So hi there everybody :)

I'm a longtime lurker here, always been fond of True20 but never ran a game using the rules before. Now that I'm finally prepping a fantasy campaign, I ran across something that is puzzling me and I thought I'd posit to those who have had some experience with the game system.

Re-reading through the T20Revised book for the first time in a few years, and I am not finding a reference as to how many boxes of the Bruised/Hurt/Dazed/Wounded conditions a character is supposed to start with. Or are these conditions not really boxed per se, just cumulative with continuing failed Toughness saves by 9 or less?

That's the only thing that's getting me so far, when many of the character sheets I've found for the system have boxes for those conditions, while the core rules character sheet and condition monitor have none.

Thanks in advance!
maded

Re: Damage Conditions

Postby ArcLocke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm also pretty new to actually using the system, but it was always my understanding that you just use tally marks or something for those four conditions. You can have multiple of each, with the bruised and hurt penalties being cumulative.

Multiple dazed and wounded conditions aren't cumulative, though. If your character gets dazed twice, you still only have the -1 penalty. Remember, though, that lethal damage also inflicts non-lethal damage. So someone that gets wounded will also be dazed. You'll add the penalty from the lethal damage to the penalty for the non-lethal damage in that case, though. The penalties just don't stack with themselves.

Did I make any sense at all? :?
ArcLocke

Re: Damage Conditions

Postby Mach5RR » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:46 am

maded wrote:So hi there everybody :)
Re-reading through the T20Revised book for the first time in a few years, and I am not finding a reference as to how many boxes of the Bruised/Hurt/Dazed/Wounded conditions a character is supposed to start with. Or are these conditions not really boxed per se, just cumulative with continuing failed Toughness saves by 9 or less?

That's the only thing that's getting me so far, when many of the character sheets I've found for the system have boxes for those conditions, while the core rules character sheet and condition monitor have none.

RAW, you can take an infinite amount of those four conditions. You just add up the damage from each track to penalize your toughness roll for the next damage roll. For example, if you took five hurts and four wounds you would also take five bruises and four dazes (collateral damage on lethal damage). If you get attacked again with lethal damage, you add all of the penalties from the lethal damage track (hurt,wounds) to give yourself a 9 penalty when making a toughness save. Interestingly enough, you can fail a toughness save really badly, incurring the disabled stat. However, disabled does not give you any penalties to your toughness save.

Associated penalties to stats/rolls. As pointed out, these are non-cumulative. You only need to observe the penalties from the highest damage box (higher box trumps lower box, but lethal trumps stun in same box).

Character sheets. You may have seen alternative character sheets genned up by other players. Some people aren't fond of the damage system as written and have switched over to Baduin's Alternative Damage System. Instead of an infinite number of possible bruises/hurts/etc, Baduin crafted a system that has three boxes for each condition. Instead of taking the -1 penalty for each, you merely mark each damage box as it is called. If all three fill up, then it overflows into the next, meaning if you roll a hurt (and have three hurts already) it upgrades to a wound, and so on. Baduin's system also simplifies the toughness save. The only point of controversy with it, is that it does it by giving the roll to the attacker, which robs the defender of using a fate point to re-roll (There are work-arounds mind you). Anyway, you can easily take which pieces you want to assist you in your gaming.
Mach5RR

Return to True20 Rules