Thread: Defensive Extra, Blocking and Actions

UN Basic Recipient

Defensive Extra, Blocking and Actions

The book says Blocking is an Action, pg 133 of the core book, but says that you can use the chosen defense as a reaction, so does that mean that your Initiative has to come up before you can Block or are you just sacrificing your Page to Block. Also how does this affect the Defensive Extra because in the book, pg 138 the example makes Speed Demon's use of the Defensive Extra look like a straight up Reaction as it's even listen under Reactions. I really need some help untangling this, thanks in advance.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Defensive Extra, Blocking and Actions

Quote Originally Posted by iriahwhittington View Post
    The book says Blocking is an Action, pg 133 of the core book, but says that you can use the chosen defense as a reaction, so does that mean that your Initiative has to come up before you can Block or are you just sacrificing your Page to Block. Also how does this affect the Defensive Extra because in the book, pg 138 the example makes Speed Demon's use of the Defensive Extra look like a straight up Reaction as it's even listen under Reactions. I really need some help untangling this, thanks in advance.
    Based on my interpretation of the rules, here's my take to respond to your question:

1) I typically don't require players to roll Initiative for a Block; they are sacrificing their page to Block. So no, Initiative shouldn't have to come up unless perhaps it's in response to some kind of surprise attack or ambush by the opponent, or maybe from triggering a trap. In that type of situation, rolling Initiative would make sense.

2) I interpret the Defensive Extra allowing a character an additional defensive maneuver when attacked. Given that Speed Demon is a super-speedster, it makes sense that he is capable of dodging attacks from multiple characters attacking him at the same time.

Hope that the responses help and keep the rules simple and action active.