Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question about nullify

  1. #1
    UN Basic Recipient
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3

    Question about nullify

    Im working on a setting where dragons are essentially made of magic. as such I figured they should take damage from nullify magic effects, but am unsure how to build that in. Is it simply a quirk, or maybe its a complication? Does it just not work? I'd apreciate any help.

  2. #2
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,599

    Re: Question about nullify

    Quote Originally Posted by KingBlake View Post
    Im working on a setting where dragons are essentially made of magic. as such I figured they should take damage from nullify magic effects, but am unsure how to build that in. Is it simply a quirk, or maybe its a complication? Does it just not work? I'd apreciate any help.
    I would personally go with a Complication.

  3. #3
    MCRN Admiral Bladewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    6,329

    Re: Question about nullify

    For PC Dragons I'd make it a complication as Fuzzy said. (Weakness: Dispel Magic - The character has to save vs Toughness at Effect Rank when a Nullify Magic is targeted at him.)

    For NPCs... not so much. You don't want to be giving the heroes HP because their powers do more than they normally do. Usually your heroes get HP for getting nerfed in some way...

    That said, how common will nullify effects be in this setting ? And more important, how common is the knowledge that they affect dragons?

    In D&D, Dispel Magic is a low level spell, fairly common in almost every wizard's repertoire and gets stronger the more you advance... Is it going to be common in this setting?

    Now, consider that Nullify is generally targeted barring area effects and broad descriptors...

    You could also consider the Nullify to have a "free" alt power of Ranged Damage (Limited to Magical Beings), Alt Save: Will for simpler bookkeeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic One View Post
    Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.
    Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting
    Blade's Builds

    The Merge Character Sheet Lists
    The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List

  4. #4
    UN Basic Recipient
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3

    Re: Question about nullify

    Dispel magic is pretty rare in this setting. As of yet the only character in universe with that ability is a pc. Hes playing a dragon hunter from the distant future, and his dispel magic is a product of advanced tech.

  5. #5
    UN Basic Recipient
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3

    Re: Question about nullify

    Thanks a ton, but a more important question came to mind. Will this affect game balance at all? Either between the pcs or otherwise

  6. #6
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,599

    Re: Question about nullify

    Quote Originally Posted by KingBlake View Post
    Thanks a ton, but a more important question came to mind. Will this affect game balance at all? Either between the pcs or otherwise
    Probably not. It's basically a sort of free 1 PP AE built into the world.

    Hmmm... although, if you're treating it as Linked, such that the dragons get damage and lose their abilities, it could be a bit more powerful, a double whammy.

  7. #7
    MCRN Admiral Bladewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    6,329

    Re: Question about nullify

    Fuzzy makes a good point.

    Since it's rare, I might also just have the character pay a PP for an alt power of Ranged Damage, Limited to Magical Beings...
    That way, yes Dispel Magic harms Magical Beings, but requires a little more training and focus to actually cause them damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic One View Post
    Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.
    Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting
    Blade's Builds

    The Merge Character Sheet Lists
    The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •