Thread: Designing a Star Boy power

UN Basic Recipient

Designing a Star Boy power

I've been trying to design Star Boy's powers from the original Adventure Comics run.

So far, I have his mass-inducing ray as a ranged affliction (hindered and vulnerable, immobile and defenseless, paralyzed), extra condition, cumulative. Additionally, I have an alternate effect for environment control (impede movement).

However, I've been having trouble reflecting his power's effects on fliers. Thus far, I've considered two methods, neither of which seem perfect.

First, a damaging move object effect (limited to moving downward) linked to the ranged affliction could allow for an opposed check against the target's flight rank and, on success, send them plummeting to the ground.

Second, a nullify or weaken flight effect, also linked to the ranked affliction.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to express this effect as part of the power, but would appreciate suggestions.
    Last edited by CoolTieGuy; 01-18-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Re: Designing a Star Boy power

Making people fall, or pinning them to the ground via powers, is tricky in the d20 system. I would probably go with Nullify, personally, since it directly targets the power in question, and then let falling work as it does.
    Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 01-19-2019 at 08:49 AM.

The Gravity Power Profiles uses Move Object Limited to Down (with and w/o Damaging) for a Gravity Field, and describes using Grab rules to simulate being pinned down by gravity, which removes the need for an Affliction. This also means that STR is used to resist, which fits the concept better.

Another option is to put it all on Weaken and make it Broad vs All Movement powers + STR, so it would also slow down speedsters and leapers. While this also covers concept well, it's expensive and unreliable in practice since it's more likely to only partially Weaken.

I do like the idea of Alternate Resistance vs STR for any of these effects, but some GMs may not go for it.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks for the replies. The character build is looking good now.

UN Basic Recipient

I thought I had covered all the aspects of this power, but another problem came up: making regular objects heavy. Ideally, an effect which allows things like making something too heavy to lift/move, and also making something heavy enough to break/fall (like making a chandelier heavy so it breaks its chain and falls on someone).

Once again, I have a few ideas, but none of them quite seem right.

First possibility: transform (anything into a heavier version of that thing). This is a good catch-all, but could still be a problem due to needing a ridiculously high transform rank
    (Granted, despite being able to sink all of Atlantis in the comics, I don't think a version on that scale would be balanced. Still, Star Boy should still be able to make reasonably large things heavy)

Second possibility: immunity (being moved), affects objects only. I like this, but it feels like a Mon-El type character should be able to move something despite Star Boy's power. Possibly
    limiting this to 1/2 effect and linking it to another option would be good. Also, this would be great for making things too heavy to move, but lousy for things in the chandelier category.

Third possibility: simply using the move object (limited to downwards) effect. I like this, but it feels like it would either be too weak against objects or too strong against other characters.
    Maybe taking a stronger version of the move object downwards limited to affecting objects only as an alternate effect of the move object downwards to be used on characters.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTieGuy View Post
    . . . making regular objects heavy. Ideally, an effect which allows things like making something too heavy to lift/move, and also making something heavy enough to break/fall (like making a chandelier heavy so it breaks its chain and falls on someone).

Once again, I have a few ideas, but none of them quite right.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    The central concern I see is this is for objects, so things that don't have resistance checks. This may simplify things for you.

The most direct way I can see to make this power is to take the Increased Mass flat extra and make it an Attack. (In HeroLab, I believe there's even an Enhanced Extra slot, but I am AFPC right now.) You'd need to clear it with your GM, but add some Increased Range and it's on par with most other effects. To be fair, it would double the mass of the target for each rank, so it might seem powerful on objects that are already massive, but IMO it wouldn't be unbalanced since the Str needed to lift it increases at the same rate.

Another option is using a limited version of Create. Created objects have an assumed mass equal to rank, so you could limit it to just making the target massive to that rank. This would mean your Create rank would be the maximum mass you could inflict; OTOH, you could use the dropped object rule for your chandelier situations.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

UN Basic Recipient

Using increased mass is definitely better and simpler. Thanks, for the help!