Thread: Choose Profession above your Class

UN Basic Recipient

Choose Profession above your Class

Hey!

Is it possible to choose a profession above your class?

If not, do you generally allow to choose the social class, if a player wants to take a specific profession?

Thanks!

OPA Belta

Re: Choose Profession above your Class

Quote Originally Posted by mrkwnzl View Post
    Hey!

If not, do you generally allow to choose the social class, if a player wants to take a specific profession?

Thanks!
    I do.

Okay, the group now consists of three upper class toffs, but united by a strong relationship they all share, and they can play very much James-Bond-style.

And they already noticed some disadvantages for going wild on social class choice. Their abilities and talents are not always the most practical when the shit hits the fan.

But all in all, they have real fun.

They started as billionaire kids on a Scottish elite school, one Brit, one Suisse, one Indian, one Chinese. This went well until a wild and barely remembered drug night on the yacht of a drugs and weapons dealing crime lord. The Chinese kid has vanished since then. Because of the scandal, the other three had to leave the school, but with the help of their parents found a new elite school home in Switzerland. The three ones left are bound together by a strong desire to commit their lives to finding again their vanished Chinese friend. They are now in their thirties and working for an international foundation dedicated to the strange and unexplained.

And now they have become involved in the struggle of two worlds for saving their common wellspring of magic.
    Last edited by rulandor; 01-13-2019 at 08:03 AM.

In my honest Opinion, Social Class is just for background purposes. There are examples in real life of those who start off in lower societies and work their way to the upper echelon. I have played Modern Age once and my character started off as Lower Class but had a Upper Class Profession since i made it to where he worked his ass off to get there. it all really depends on how you want to play it up. my GM allowed it since it flowed nicely into his origin.

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks! I was wondering this because the rules explicitly talk about choosing a profession below your class, which implicates that you can’t do the opposite (funny how that works).

My reservations are the high Resources values upper class professions get. Depending on the game we played (especially in Gritty mode), if I were allowed to choose a profession above my class, I’d be inclined to rather choose an upper class profession to get a Resource value of 6 or 8. All the other Talents and Focuses of other professions I can get starting at level 2, but to have Resources at 8 is hard to get in Gritty games. And (assuming the GM doesn’t rule it excessive) since you only lower your Resources if you buy something that costs more than your resources +10, it is almost guaranteed that you will never have money problems if you start at resources 6 or 8. The most expensive item in the rulebook is Jewelry (Unique) with a TN of 17. Even vehicles are prices at most at 16 (helicopter and bulldozer).

P.S.: Yes, I know, roleplaying reasons might prevent that. But let’s assume I don’t really care about what this profession is called, and focus more on the game stats it provides. We have players like that in our group and I think that’s completely fine.
    Last edited by mrkwnzl; 01-18-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Line Dev Modern AGE Freebooter

You can always pick character creation options instead of rolling randomly.

By default the game doesn't do professions above your class based on the idea that this kind of social advancement either vaults you into that social class anyway, or is something better represented by ongoing character advancement.

One unofficial option is to allow professions above your class but apply a -1 Resources modifier per rank of difference.

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks! I got a bit thrown off because for Professions itís mentioned that you can choose instead of rolling, but not for the Background.