Thread: Looking for random character generation tables and a question regarding Removable devices.

OPA Belta

Looking for random character generation tables and a question regarding Removable devices.

First the question about Removable devices. I want to replicate the old Thor comics where the powers are still kept for a certain duration after losing the item, which will allow someone to use their powers to recover the source of the power. In this case the item is a sword that can summon demons or empower the user. The hope was that being disarmed or having the sword taken away causes the character to lose the powers, but only after a round or two if disarmed in combat or whatever the story needs if it happens otherwise. Would this be worth a feature?

As for the next part, has anyone worked on expanded random character generation tables? I've searched and seen a few ideas but was hoping someone knew of a larger reworking of the tables than just a couple of additions. As another option, if someone knows of some kind of super-massive random character tables in a different book that's easily converted then that could work too.

Re: Looking for random character generation tables and a question regarding Removable devices.

I would probably be inclined to simply make it a Complication and avoid using Removable for powers that stuck around (like, say, the heroic form), unless it's something that will happen all the time.

OPA Belta

Re: Looking for random character generation tables and a question regarding Removable devices.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I would probably be inclined to simply make it a Complication and avoid using Removable for powers that stuck around (like, say, the heroic form), unless it's something that will happen all the time.
    Thanks for the idea, and I think you're right that it should be a complication. This is a character I made, for my campaign, for a player who's still learning the ropes of gaming in general. It's intentionally made to be overpowered but with limitations so using it is unreliable. The device part was honestly, at the risk of being chastised, meant to be point shaving. As the character progresses they'll be buying off the flaws of the magical weapon, including the removable part. The player seems to be ok with it so we're going to see how well it works out.

No luck on more random tables? Maybe I should sit down and write some out myself and be the change I want to see.

OPA Belta

Doesn't the GM Kit come with random char gen rules?

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    Doesn't the GM Kit come with random char gen rules?
    I think he's looking for more. Getting the math to balance is the tricky part.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I think he's looking for more. Getting the math to balance is the tricky part.
    Arguably the GMKit method is pretty good. It just needs more archetypes: like the ones from Hero High, Cosmic HB, Supernatural HB, etc.

In a truly random system, getting the math to balance is the impossible part. I would suggest creating a list of powers (perhaps seeded from Power Profiles), separate them into offense, defense, movement, utility, and other, and just randomize them (you'll need d400 probably: roll (1d20-1)*20+1d20). You still need to do the work of determining the right number of ranks. But I think that's as close to a truly random system as you are going to get.

Still use the GMKit for abilities, defenses, etc. To go truly random, roll your abilities as well:

2d20 Value
    2-4 -1
    5-15 0
    16-21 1
    22-25 2
    26-28 3
    29-30 4
    31-32 5
    33 6
    34 7
    35 8
    36 9
    37 10
    38 11
    39 12
    40 12+1d6

But balancing that is impossible. The value of the GMKit is the abilities "make sense" for the archetypes involved.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    Arguably the GMKit method is pretty good. It just needs more archetypes: like the ones from Hero High, Cosmic HB, Supernatural HB, etc.

In a truly random system, getting the math to balance is the impossible part. I would suggest creating a list of powers (perhaps seeded from Power Profiles), separate them into offense, defense, movement, utility, and other, and just randomize them (you'll need d400 probably: roll (1d20-1)*20+1d20). You still need to do the work of determining the right number of ranks. But I think that's as close to a truly random system as you are going to get.

Still use the GMKit for abilities, defenses, etc. To go truly random, roll your abilities as well:

2d20 Value
    2-4 -1
    5-15 0
    16-21 1
    22-25 2
    26-28 3
    29-30 4
    31-32 5
    33 6
    34 7
    35 8
    36 9
    37 10
    38 11
    39 12
    40 12+1d6

But balancing that is impossible. The value of the GMKit is the abilities "make sense" for the archetypes involved.
    Yes, I was looking for more. I'm honestly thinking I should just create my own and then post them here for review when I'm almost done. I have some more ideas for archetype varieties, powers, backgrounds, etc... I really appreciate the responses.