Thread: Clarifying Critical Hits with Affliction

UN Basic Recipient

Clarifying Critical Hits with Affliction

I have not seen an example in books or postings but I had a question on whether you can critically hit with afflictions given you need to hit the target thus increasing its effect. If you can critically hit, can you apply power attack and other maneuvers?

Re: Clarifying Critical Hits with Affliction

It was 2e and a decade ago, but http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=15450

Technically, the critical hit descrition should say "a critical hit raises the attack's save difficulty by +5"

The way I handle it is, any attack that requires an attack rolls and allows a saving throw may benefit from a critical hit, gaining a +5 save DC. It's a slight advantage of having to make that attack roll.

If you want a somewhat more detailed and balanced version, you can say a critical hit raises an attack's save DC by +5 or an effective 10 power points, whichever is less, so an attack that costs 4-5 points per rank only gets a +2 DC bonus rather than the full 5. This makes critical hits less devastating for this big attacks.
    Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 01-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.

UN Basic Recipient

The descriptions of critical hit, power attack, etc. don't mention them applying specifically to one power. Damage, Affliction, Weaken, etc. all work the same way.

I would also argue that Power Attack and such maneuvers should affect the initial DC, but not any recovery rolls. So firing your Nerve Disruptor more wildly may make you more likely to paralyze your opponent, but they recover the same as usual.