Thread: 3E how to make zombie and ghost bound to each other?

UN Basic Recipient

3E how to make zombie and ghost bound to each other?

Hello, everyone!

Based on a joke I've seen on tumblr once, I created a character that is a man who died during a zombie attack, his body turned into a zombie, but his soul turned into a ghost bound to the body. Now he wonders the world trying to figure out why he is a ghost instead of simply dying.

Here in Brazil we have 3D&T, a simple system that can be used in many stories, and it's there where I've created the body and ghost of Jim Knight, the main character being the soul.

The key things the character have are the advantage Ally (body), which is basically a weaker character you control during combat, and the disadvantages Cursed, the "make your own disadvantage" (in this case, unable to stay 10 meters away from the body) and Lifelink, where every time the linked character takes damage (in this case, the body), the disadvantage owner takes the same damage as well. The body only has Lifelink to the soul, therefore he moves and drags the soul along.

I want to "translate" the character to Mutants and Masterminds 3E, but I'm having some troubles. Firstly, the main character would be, again, the soul, so the body could be a Permanent Summon or something like that. But how do I make the "can't stay away from the body" problem? And how to make the Lifelink effect on 3E as well?

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: 3E how to make zombie and ghost bound to each other?

How independent is the zombie body from the ghost player? Can it act on its own when he's not in it? Is he affected when the zombie body is injured? What happens if the ghost part is knocked unconscious? Can the ghost do anything if the body is disabled?

UN Basic Recipient

Ok, let's go by parts, as said Freddy Krueger:

How independent is the zombie body from the ghost player?

The body acts like an animal most of the time, and the ghost must tame and control it. When the zombie sees or smell blood it loses control and turns agressive, disobeying any command. Other than that, if not commanded, the body will walk towards whatever calls its attention.

Can it act on its own when he's not in it?

The ghost is never in the body, he's always outside, although bound by an unkown force to it. But yes, the zombie can act by his own, taking decisions that a regular zombie would take.

Is he affected when the zombie body is injured?

Both are lifelinked to each other, so they effectively have the same "health bar". But other effects, like afflicions, affects them individually.

What happens if the ghost part is knocked unconscious?

Both the ghost and the zombie are immortals, and will return after a week if "killed". If the ghost is unconsious for some other reason beyond damage, the zombie will follow the last command as best as possible, and after that, resume his zombie business.

Can the ghost do anything if the body is disabled?

As said before, both die at the same time, and return a week later. If the body is disabled for something other than damage, the soul still can act normally, but still can't leave the 10 meters area around the body.

UN Basic Recipient

I've been looking again at the rules, and it seems the Feedback flaw would be the closest thing to what I need. But still, the flaw allows a "Special Toughness Check". So I came up with a custom flaw, Two-way Feedback, a -2 point per rank that makes the summoned and the summoner have the same health bar.

Here's what i have so far:

JIM KNIGHT - SOUL (PL 8)

STR - AGL 0 FGT 0 AWE -2
    STA - DEX 2 INT 4 PRE 4

POWERS

Ghost Form (Insubstantial 4; Permanent)
    Immaterial (Protection 12)
    Immortal (Immortality 2)
    Jim Knight Ė Body (Summon 8; Heroic, Reach (melee) 6; Limited 2 (canít stay away from reach range), Permanent, Quirk (Uncontrollable when sees blood), Two-way Feedback)
    Regen (Regeneration 1)
    Telekinesis (Move Object 5; Perception, Precise, Subtle)
    Undead (Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects))

ADVANTAGES

Animal Emphaty, Artificer, Set-up

SKILLS

Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Business 2 (+6), Expertise: Magic 4 (+8), Persuasion 4 (+8), Stealth 6 (+6)

OFFENSE

Initiative +0

Telekinesis perception range +5

Grab -
    Throw -
    Unarmed -

DEFENSE

Dodge 4
    Parry 4
    Toughness 12
    Fortitude IMMUNE
    Will 8

Total = -4 Abilities + 93 Powers + 3 Advantages + 10 Skills + 18 Defenses = 120 Points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JIM KNIGHT - BODY (PL 8)

STR -6 AGL 4 FGT 4 AWE 0
    STA - DEX 0 INT -4 PRE -4

POWERS

Dead Flesh (Protection 12)
    Immortal (Immortality 2)
    Infection (Affliction 5; Contagious, Progressive; Limited Degree, Unreliable (roll))
    Predator Speed (Speed 2)
    Regen (Regeneration 1)
    Undead (Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects))
    Vital-spot Seeker (Damage 6; Penetrating 6, Strenght-based)

ADVANTAGES

Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 4 (Vital-spot Seeker), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close and Ranged, Cover and Concealment), Weapon Bind, Weapon Break

SKILLS

Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 6 (+12), Perception 12 (+12), Ranged Combat: Throw 4 (+4), Stealth 8 (+12)

OFFENSE

Initiative +4

Infection +4, DC Fortitude 15
    Vital-spot Seeker +4, DC Toughness 27, Crit. 16-20

Grab +4, DC Special 16
    Throw +4, DC Toughness 21
    Unarmed ++4 DC Toughness 21

DEFENSE

Dodge 4
    Parry 4
    Toughness 12
    Fortitude IMMUNE
    Will 8

Total = 2 Abilities + 71 Powers + 20 Advantages + 19 Skills + 8 Defenses = 120 Points

I think it's pretty decent, and inside the rules, except for the custom flaw. what do you guys think? is there another way to do this without house rules?

I think I could see another way to do it with fewer house rules, if I understand your concept.

Try this: instead of making the Ghost the base form and the Body a Sidekick like you have now, build the body as the base PC and change Insub 4 to Remote Sensing. Make RS 1 rank with Simultaneous and Permanent with Feedback, and your Ghost is basically a free-floating sense point with a 60' range and can only be detected with a DC11 Insight check, all for only 5p (DC21 if you make it Subtle for +1p). The Feedback allows attacks to affect your base character, so you don't need any "linked life" mechanics.

I assume the Telekinesis represents the Ghost form's ability to move stuff around, so you can keep that.

Can the Ghost be heard and understood be people other than the Body? Use some of those saved points and add that to it. I was originally thinking an Audio Illusion, but with all the limits on range, speech and only coming from the ghost, it may as well just be a 1p Feature.

The Body taking off on its own can be a Complication and the Ghost persuading the Body is all roleplay.

Admittedly this will be a little more expensive than your other method, since you essentially made two full PL8 PCs and made one a Sidekick of the other. If PL8/120p is still your target budget, you may need to trim a few things down. Personally, I think ditching Fort Immunity and just using Life Support and normal Stamina is a better choice, but I may be in the minority.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!