Thread: My Rogues Gallery: More Candy Crew-Y!

OPA Belta

My Rogues Gallery: More Candy Crew-Y!

While I "officially" wrapped up this thread some time ago, Rogues Gallery, getting my hard copy just in time for Christmas has excited me enough to resurrect the topic for a bit, both to add a few bits AND offer some author's ideas on how the characters fit into the Freedomverse (or any similar four-color setting). And yes-despite already having the PDF version, holding the 3-D ink and paper incarnation in my hands is somehow more satisfying. Thanks for the present, Green Ronin!

As I mentioned previously when discussing The Candy Crew, I wanted to invoke the classic "themed" bad-guy teams such as The Royal Flush Gang or the Wrecking Crew, but also play with the concept of "jobber" villains, who started off as a serious (if modest) threat to heroes, then gradually saw their menace and reputation nose-dive as they kept losing and losing to the good guys over the years. The Freedomvese is a standard superhero genre milieu with a difference-the setting's people and cities progress in real time, meaning status quo is not slavishly maintained. This allows for more genuine character development, and what first got me thinking about what might happen to a "forgotten" Freedom League foe from their halcyon late Silver Age/early Bronze Age days, now facing old age and obscurity. Hence the Candy Czar.

More to follow.
    Last edited by greycrusader; 01-16-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Re-titled thread

OPA Belta

My Rogues Gallery: More Candy Crew-Y!

NOTE: While originally I was (eventually) going to cover more details about all the villains I contributed to the Rogues Gallery book, I've decided this thread is ONLY going to cover The Candy Crew. In all honesty, the injury to my hand is still painful enough to be a hindrance, and with regular life being busy enough as is, I really need to limit my keyboard time until I can get back to actual freelance projects.

My original conception of the Candy Czar was more sinister-the other Crew members would be less his team than his slaves, addicted to the Czar's sweet treats. These psychoactive candies would enhance their abilities and render them fearless in their exploits, but also obedient to the nefarious Mr. Czarnowski. But as I jotted down notes about the team members, stripping the characters of their agency seemed less appealing than giving each their own motives for being part of the gang. When I look at some of my favorite "classic" villain teams such as Flash's own Rogues or the Wrecking Crew, I'm struck by how they are often portrayed as actual friends, not just criminal cohorts; they are believable as people who joke around, hang out together in dive bars, and do favors for each other, sometimes acting as makeshift families, albeit dysfunctional in nature.

So this was the quality I tried to impart in the final write-up of the team. Each of the Crew ALMOST reached their life's ambition...until a few poor choices, unlucky circumstances, and/or some addiction/vice caused everything to go sour. None of them are stone-cold killers or psychopathic, though Candy Czar and Wicked Licorice are career criminals (and the latter is also a boor, lech, and all-around jerk). They're more closely knit than the Thieves' Guild, but not as disciplined as the Factor Four (where Prof. Camus' orders are followed mostly without question). They regularly rehearse team-tactics, and have come up with a few simple phrases and signals to initiate specific maneuvers in combat.

(In game terms, this is mostly represented by their Advantages-Leadership, Interpose, Set-Up, etc.-and any pre-set tactics the Gamemaster wants to play against the heroes, though this likely should mean doling out a HP or two for use later. If the team proves popular enough for a GM to keep around in a campaign, the Crew members could eventually be given Teamwork or other-appropriate Advantages,even new ones from the upcoming Super-Teams book.)

Another paragraph or two coming very soon! All my best.
    Last edited by greycrusader; 01-16-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Thread re-titled