Thread: Freedom City Lex Luthor Analog?

UN Basic Recipient

Freedom City Lex Luthor Analog?

Hi! Does anyone know who is Freedom City's closest Lex Luthor equivalent? I cannot seem to find a similar Freedom City character, but I'm probably just overlooking it.

Re: Freedom City Lex Luthor Analog?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Hi! Does anyone know who is Freedom City's closest Lex Luthor equivalent? I cannot seem to find a similar Freedom City character, but I'm probably just overlooking it.
    we have a few, actually.

the longest running of these was the crime boss Augustus Roman, who arched the Centurion for pretty much his entire career up until Centurion's death in 1993. after that Roman faded into the background, running the underground gladiator bouts known as Circus Maximus.

today, Roman is hella old and iirc, suffered from a stroke, so his operations have been taken over by his equally brilliant daughter Saturnalia

if that's not your speed, for "Luthor as mad scientist" we have Dr. Stratos, who likewise bedevilled Captain thunder through his career first with gadgets and later weather control powers, and heads up the crime league.

for "Luthor the corporate mastermind" we have Doc Otaku, who was a mwa-ha-ha supertech villain during his teenaged years, but seemingly went straight upon adulthood, only to now run some seriously shady stuff from behind the cover of his tech company.

UN Basic Recipient

Thank you. I'll take a look at those.

OPA Belta

There's also Dr. Mayhem from Freedom's Most Wanted. Boyhood genius friend of Centurion's son, Gladius, driven to superviilainy to prove to Gladius that his theories about time travel were correct. Of course, that's why no one in the present time remembers either one.

OPA Belta

This is an interesting case, as elements of a Lex Luthor analogue were definitely split up among several villains-the closest actual analogue among those mentioned above IS Dr. Mayhem, as his story closely parallels that of the Silver Age Luthor (who began as a FRIEND of Superboy's, before becoming the Man of Steel's lifelong foe); Dr. Mayhem even wears the requisite powered battlesuit (though not in green and purple). As a now-purposeless man from an erased timeline, the character is a semi-tragic figure, even if his hardship is largely of his own making.

August Roman is a case where there are superficial elements resembling the DC villain's Golden Age version (along with a nod to the modern Luthor's niece Nasthalia in the form of Saturnia), but he's more a strategist and later behind-the-scenes manipulator. His statistics really don't give him the sort of super-scientific genius one would expect, so he's more like a mundane master criminal during his heyday (when Roman is a member of the Golden Age Crime League [an ersatz Injustice Society]) and somewhat similar to Kingpin or Norman Osborn in the present, though now largely retired and borderline enfeebled.

Dr. Stratos is interesting, in that he served as a foe to Captain Thunder, who filled the "Superman" role after Centurion's demise, but had much lesser powers, along with the origin of The Ray; Stratos could be seen as a stand-in for obscure Superman enemy The Lightning Master.

Not sure if I see Doc Otaku as a Luthor analogue at all, as he's more of Japanese tokusatsu inspired villain.

Interestingly, the Freedomverse has at least a handful of "composite" and "decomposite" analogues of mainstream comics heroes and villains. Lady Liberty has the origin of Uncle Sam (or the DC/Quality Miss America, take your pick) but plays the Wonder Woman role on the team; Gorilla Grodd got split into two villains-Dr. Simian and Cerebrus Rex; Megalodon is an amalgam of Man-Bat/The Lizard (the "classic" version), while Goanna more closely resembles the modern day depiction of Curt Connors' reptilian alter-ego.

All my best.
    Last edited by greycrusader; 01-18-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greycrusader View Post
    Not sure if I see Doc Otaku as a Luthor analogue at all, as he's more of Japanese tokusatsu inspired villain.
    originally, yes, but now he's older, seemingly put "childish" things behind him and is now a tycoon of the Musk/Zuckerberg variety, with the writers of FC 3rd even saying "somebody has to take over the corporate mastermind angle now that we killed off Johnathan Grant"