Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Age 4 Announced

Re: Dragon Age 4 Announced

Quote Originally Posted by BytomMan View Post
    I hate to even say this, but I wish some other company else would handle the license for Dragon Age at this point. I've been a devout supporter since the first box set, but the snails pace of material in support of this line and beautiful game world is really terrible. We've had Dragon Age: Inquisition go by with nary any product to support. Faces of Thedas was announced about 4-5 years ago and still doesn't have a release date. I see lots of other products and licenses announced by Green Ronin the past few years and nothing for this line in the same time.
    It seems the fault mostly lies with Bioware, rather than EA Games - I'd have thought the latter would be keen to extract profit from every revenue stream, however small. There are other big companies that allow RPG product to be churned out by the companies who've paid for the license - Star Wars and Warhammer, for example. Bioware couldn't even be bothered to allow GR to produce a Mass Effect RPG - which is basically a license to print money.

I wonder whether gamers like ourselves ought to organise ourselves and question Bioware staff via tweets or questions at gaming conventions about the tabletop RPG - not combatative, but curious and encouraging. It might help.

Baleful Eye of SaurMod Fildrigar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I think the issue is made worse by the snail's pace it takes Green Ronin to release books that aren't licensed. Look at how slow the support for Fantasy Age is. Fantasy Age has been out how many years and how many books are there? What four? I get that Green Ronin is a small company, but they also fail to adequately support what they do have. They get into so many systems and settings, then fail to deliver any support for them beyond the bare bones. Look at their history, True 20 anyone? Blue Rose? When was the last time a Song of Fire and Ice product was released? What about setting books for Fantasy Age or a revamped book that brings the Fantasy more inline with Modern?
    Fantasy AGE released in August 2015, or three and a third years ago. We've published a total of four books for the line. ( And five PDF adventures ) We've also published three Blue Rose books, which are pretty easy to use with Fantasy AGE.

Please note that our license for Song of Ice and Fire ended in 2017.
    https://greenronin.com/blog/2018/01/...n-2018-part-1/

Finally, as this thread is about licensed works, please note that sometimes the approval process really sucks. Sometimes books get mostly written, and then sit there through no fault of ours. We've been releasing an average of at least a book a year for every nonlicensed line that we have. We're trying. And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.
    ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Parsival View Post
    It seems the fault mostly lies with Bioware, rather than EA Games - I'd have thought the latter would be keen to extract profit from every revenue stream, however small. There are other big companies that allow RPG product to be churned out by the companies who've paid for the license - Star Wars and Warhammer, for example. Bioware couldn't even be bothered to allow GR to produce a Mass Effect RPG - which is basically a license to print money.

I wonder whether gamers like ourselves ought to organise ourselves and question Bioware staff via tweets or questions at gaming conventions about the tabletop RPG - not combatative, but curious and encouraging. It might help.
    That would be a bad idea. We'd like to keep working with them and don't want to antagonize them.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Fildrigar View Post
    Fantasy AGE released in August 2015, or three and a third years ago. We've published a total of four books for the line. ( And five PDF adventures ) We've also published three Blue Rose books, which are pretty easy to use with Fantasy AGE.

Please note that our license for Song of Ice and Fire ended in 2017.
    https://greenronin.com/blog/2018/01/...n-2018-part-1/

Finally, as this thread is about licensed works, please note that sometimes the approval process really sucks. Sometimes books get mostly written, and then sit there through no fault of ours. We've been releasing an average of at least a book a year for every nonlicensed line that we have. We're trying. And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.

I understand your point of view Fildrigar. Please understand mine. Should I be happy that a system I love so much gets ONE book a year? I am your customer. I want to give you my money, but I can't give it to you when there is no product to buy. I am saying that maybe as a company you are stretched too thin. If you can only produce one book a year for each of your product lines, then maybe you need to trim down your product lines and produce more content for less lines.

I love Bioware games and I love Dragon Age. I also really enjoy Green Ronin products. If there is this much hassle with making product for Dragon Age, why even bother? The effort could be put towards something more productive like new True20, Mutants & Masterminds, or AGE system content. Even expand Freeport content to be compatible with more systems. Add more Freeport Fate Core Content or create a Freeport Dungeon Crawl Classics sourcebook. Revive ICONS with an update or some new sourcebooks. What about Mutant & Masterminds Fate Core books? Heck put out something that is non-licenced. It would mean more money for Green Ronin and more satisfied customers.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Fildrigar View Post
    And having the same few voices bitch and moan about our "snail's pace" is actually pretty frustrating.
    That is pretty understandable. Indeed, the output for the AGE engine is not bad, and the exceptional, incomparable game master kits GR puts out are not even mentioned in your list.

I too would, of course, like to see more products, simply as a fan of the AGE engine and FAGE in particular. But I also know that as human beings, writers and producers of games (especially niche ones) need a pat on the shoulder sometimes more than criticism (although this is also very much necessary for keeping up standards).

So, here es my pat on the shoulder. Nearly all AGE books are awesome. Not faultless (nothing ever is), but awesome. Keep on!

An additional note: That Titansgrave seems to be rather dead is sad, but to all appearances this no fault of GR either.
    Last edited by rulandor; Yesterday at 08:02 AM.

An additional note: That Titansgrave seems to be rather dead is sad, but to all appearances this no fault of GR either.
    I really, really wish I could tell you the story. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I understand your point of view Fildrigar. Please understand mine. Should I be happy that a system I love so much gets ONE book a year? I am your customer. I want to give you my money, but I can't give it to you when there is no product to buy. I am saying that maybe as a company you are stretched too thin. If you can only produce one book a year for each of your product lines, then maybe you need to trim down your product lines and produce more content for less lines.

I love Bioware games and I love Dragon Age. I also really enjoy Green Ronin products. If there is this much hassle with making product for Dragon Age, why even bother? The effort could be put towards something more productive like new True20, Mutants & Masterminds, or AGE system content. Even expand Freeport content to be compatible with more systems. Add more Freeport Fate Core Content or create a Freeport Dungeon Crawl Classics sourcebook. Revive ICONS with an update or some new sourcebooks. What about Mutant & Masterminds Fate Core books? Heck put out something that is non-licenced. It would mean more money for Green Ronin and more satisfied customers.
    For what it's worth, we are ramping up production. The next FAGE and MAGE books are in the queue, they've been written. The books after are well under way.

We are unlikely to ever produce Fate content. We'd rather use our in house systems.

Regarding licensed products, they generate excitement and bring newer players to the hobby. That's good for everyone.

What about hiring ex-Bioware employees to do a bit of freelance writing for the tabletop game? Even if they only outline one part of a supplement, their old contacts make it more likely that the whole product will be approved more swiftly.

David Gaider I understand is currently at a loose end...

OPA Belta

I've got some RPG products from a number of licensed IP's, which many would say are much more well-established and older than Dragon Age. For some reason, there are way more books published for these lines. Seems like Bioware is pretty stringent with its IP; I guess that's just how it is, unfortunately for us fans. My criticism has never been with the quality of the products--which is really high--just the pacing of releases.