Thread: Characters first meeting. suggestions welcome.

UN Basic Recipient

Lightbulb Characters first meeting. suggestions welcome.

I'm pulling together a campaign that runs along side the events of Pre-enclave and DA:I. With two player characters, and at least one npc that will join their party.

One character is a Elf Apostate, yet to pick specializations. Character has split from their clan, and is interested in doing hunting/ mercenary work. Has a magical artifact that she's trying to open up the secrets of.The second player is an escaped Elven slave mage that teamed up with a spirit of Freedom to escape Tevinter (think an anders-type situation). He's trying to remain under the radar from slave hunters.

The thought process I'm kind of going with for them to meet right now is both being attacked by templars? But I feel like that's really basic. Does anyone have any suggestions? The NPC that they will most likely be working with is an Orleasian Student.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Characters first meeting. suggestions welcome.

Attacked by templars is not a terrible meeting point given they are both prime targets for that at some point.

Around what time in the Dragon Age history are you setting the campaign. Setting it just before the Inquisition could allow for falling in (or out) with the Mage Rebellion. Setting it during the Inquisition or shortly after allows for them to have been "noticed" and recruited as agents of Leliana or "Red Jenny" (given their elven status).

If that doesn't work, a quick scenario off the top of my head - local apostate mage hires elven apostate to assist in a ritual. Turns out, the ritual is to enslave a spirit of Wisdom/Discovery. Furthermore, unbeknownst to the elven mage PC, the ritual involves blood magic for which they are to serve as sacrifice. "Slave mage" PC is guided by the Spirit of Freedom to assist in preventing/freeing the Wisdom/Discovery spirit (also helping indicate that spirit companions ask for assistance as well as give it). Slave-mage crashes the ritual just at the moment the blood sacrifice element becomes apparent... what do they do now? Do they fight or assist one another against the spirit slave master mage? Once that mage is out of the picture, how to they prevent the spirit of Wisdom/Discovery from becoming a Demon of Despair from it's harsh treatment and exposure to harsh blood magics?

OPA Belta

I don't think I'd put players as antagonists at introduction... could be fine, but too much room for error. It would really depend on the players.

I think some kind of interaction with Templars would be an excellent starting point for your campaign. After all, in the period you have set your game, there are myriad factions within the Templar order itself. Do they come across Templars who remain loyal to the Chantry, or some who are keeping their heads down, doing their jobs and staying out of conflict? Are the Templars obeying the orders of the Lord Seeker and heading to Therinfal Redoubt? Are they from an extremist group? Hopefully, the PCs can come into contact with a few different Templar factions who are in conflict with each other - that would be a great introduction to the period.

UN Basic Recipient

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I think I have enough of an idea now to build something together.