Thread: Playing a rookie character; Help!

Protomolecule Host

Playing a rookie character; Help!

So, for my next session, rather than create our own characters, our GM gave us already-created characters, and by luck of the draw, my character is a newbie to the whole hero game. A lot of times, if my group is playing any new characters, there aren't any rookies; the new guys tend to have a minimum of 2 years experience out in the field.

Thing is, I'm not really sure how to play a newcomer (other than saying, "What's that, [teammate]?" every two minutes). Any advice for how to play him? BTW, for reference, my character's essentially a mashup of Deadshot and Red Arrow, with wrist-crossbows instead (in other words, a gender-swapped Quarrel from Astro City).
    "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Playing a rookie character; Help!

Well if your character is a trained warrior it becomes easier than a dude that just get powers out of nowhere, you can go with your character being very competent in his preview field of work, a trained soldier, a assassin, etc, and being new to just the "Hero" thing.

You can go for exemple with a Damian Wayne style of thinking like "Why the hell we are letting those feckers live? This is stupid." Get in trouble for not giving a damn about the public view of you, or start a fight with a gang in town alone with not even knowing about it, etc. But that depends more of your character backstory than anything. Btw, your DM give one for the character?

Protomolecule Host

Btw, your DM give one for the character?
    Similar to Wesley Gibson from Wanted (the comic, not the movie): He discovers that his biological (recently deceased) mom was a former costumed hero (essentially, a blend of Elektra and Roy Harper), and she's left him everything (not Bruce Wayne/Richie Rich-level, but impressive nonetheless). However, there are certain requirements: He's being trained to unlock his gifts, and has to suit up for a set period of time (about 2 years). Turns out, Mickey inherited his mom's talent for long-range combat (after all, how many people do you know that can decapitate a rat with a shuriken on their first try?), so she's provided him with contacts, who've spent the last six months unlocking his potential for action, both as a marksman and martial artist.

But as was pointed out in Sons of Liberty, what you go through in training (whether VR or otherwise) is a LOT different than real life.
    Last edited by Jeddak Templar; Yesterday at 04:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.

Complications are your friend, like the property damage one. You do everything right from your POV but still screw things up. A "newbie" one would work too, where you auto fail perception checks or don't notice the downed bad guy getting away, for instance.