Thread: Suffocation

OPA Belta

Suffocation

How do you create a suffocation effect? Suppose the effect is entombing the target in ice or stone with no air supply. The entombing part is easy. It's just an Affliction with Immobile, no third effect.

But how do you impose the "you have no air" effect on the target? Obviously immunity "suffocation" makes the target unharmed by the lack of air.

At first I thought Environment. But more Environment effect are much weaker than removing all the air in a space. In fact, oddly, Environment effects have only two levels. But in the Environmental Hazards: Heat and Cold section, three levels of extreme heat and cold are listed. So why can't power create all three levels?

Re: Suffocation

My first thought is an Affliction with Dazed/Impaired, Disabled/Stunned, Incapacitated/Unaware to roughly model the 2E version. Maybe add a Quirk that it doesn't work against people with Immunity (Suffocation).

suffocation power is listed in the cores rules, as a sample power on page 131

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    At first I thought Environment. But more Environment effect are much weaker than removing all the air in a space. In fact, oddly, Environment effects have only two levels. But in the Environmental Hazards: Heat and Cold section, three levels of extreme heat and cold are listed. So why can't power create all three levels?
    The Environment power creates the two 'higher' levels of heat and cold.

The Environmental Hazard section mentions levels of uncomfortable, intense, and extreme.

The cheaper version of the Environment power creates intense heat or cold, with the 2 point per rank making extreme. Given the much longer time scale of uncomfortable it really isn't worth being spelled out as its own effect.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    suffocation power is listed in the cores rules, as a sample power on page 131
    I find it lacking. Why are there rules for suffocation but this power circumvents them and uses the Affliction rules?

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Eld View Post
    The Environment power creates the two 'higher' levels of heat and cold.
    I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.

But this just implies to me that you should be able to create and airless environment for 2 ranks of Environment, which would then follow the normal rules.
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 11-30-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    I find it lacking. Why are there rules for suffocation but this power circumvents them and uses the Affliction rules?
    Presumably so aerokinetics and the like don't have to wait at least ten rounds for characters to start suffocating.

There's nothing saying you can't cludge up an Environment power that creates an airless environment.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

The Suffocation power is being built more as a Darth Vaderish choke, I suspect. 2E had a similar breakdown with regular suffocation giving you a chance to fill your lungs versus the power acting immediately, etc. My first impulse would be to make "render area airless" 3 ranks in Environmental Control just because it both operates every round after the first minute plus Stamina, and also the effects ramp up faster.

Maybe just a feature to add Suffocation to the immobilize affliction if you want to use the suffocation rules. It's unlikely any combat will last longer than someone can hold their breath.
    Apprentice Mastermind:
    Assorted Builds: https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMast...iscreants.html