Thread: Looking for advise

UN Basic Recipient

Looking for advise

I’ve been given a 200pp limit for a pl10 game. I’m looking to trip down some points on my character to make him fit within the limit. I’d also appreciate any advise on anything you wouldn’t permit on a character in your own game. I’m also still working on the power names, descriptors and his complications. Most of the fluff is still in progress.

This guy is named Derek Shepherd. He’s pretty gifted with memory and intelligence and was born with a mutation that allows him to return to life when he dies. He later was recruited by the CIA as an operative and learned magic at an academy available in the setting. The idea is like James Bond or Jason Bourne with magic. I’ve opted for a mostly powered build where thing that can overlap, like insight and mind reading or investigation and postcognition are covered by the relevant power.

Derek Shepherd
    STR 0 AGI 0 FTG 0 AWE 0
    STA 10 DEX 0 INT 10 PRE 0

Advantages:Eidetic Memory, Power Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Jack of all Trades, Uncanny Dodge, Takedown 2, Prone Fighting, Chokehold, Evasion 2, Improved Critical: Unarmed 4, Improved Hold, Artificer, Ritualist

Skills: Deception +20, Perception +20

Powers:
    Array
    Concealment 6: all visual, all audible
    Senses 4 precognition, Custom Extra: simultaneous (see remote sensing)
    13points
    Array
    Affliction 12, cumulative, accurate 4, subtle 2, Insidious
    Resisted by will; entranced, compelled, controlled
    Strength 8, Multiattack on strength, accurate 6
    Mind reading 12, close, cumulative, effortless, subtle 2, accurate 4
    Illusion 10: sight and sound
    34 points
    Flight 1, continuous
    3 points
    Imortality 1
    2points
    Variable 1, continuous, free action, check required expertise: magic 11
    9 points
    Dynamic array
    Summon 8, active, multiple Minions 2, Mental Link
    Teleport 15, Accurate, extra mass 8, Turnabout, change Velocity
    Insubstantial 4
    Morph 3: humanoids
    62 points
    Feature 1: Sense Memory
    Like photographic memory for all senses, good for making better illusions or projecting a remembered face to others
    1 point
    Defenses
    TOU 10 STM 10 WIL 10 DGE 10 PRY 10
    30 points

Offense
    Initiative +0
    Unarmed +12 DC 23/25/28 crit 16
    Affliction + 8 DC 22
    Grab DC 18, 23 to break out

Abilities 40 + advantages 20+ skills 20 + defenses 30 + powers 123 = 251 O.o

I’ll take any advise even if it changes the build a lot, so don’t hold back. I imagine I will need so major revisions to make this work.
    Last edited by ClicheKHFan; 11-29-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Re: Looking for advise

I'll give this a shot. Step by step.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicheKHFan View Post
    Iíve been given a 200pp limit for a pl10 game. Iím looking to trip down some points on my character to make him fit within the limit. Iíd also appreciate any advise on anything you wouldnít permit on a character in your own game. Iím also still working on the power names, descriptors and his complications. Most of the fluff is still in progress.
    200p for a PL10 game is pretty broad, but it looks like you should still try to specialize a bit to make the points fit if nothing else. Is this character going to be part of a team? Is there a theme you want to go for? I know a lot of people leave descriptors to the end but having a good sense of what powers look like in-game will help evaluate how important they are to you to play.
    This guy is named Derek Shepherd. Heís pretty gifted with memory and intelligence and was born with a mutation that allows him to return to life when he dies.
    Two things I am always obligated to mention with resurrecting PCs:
    1) M&M is, by default, hard to die in unless the GM specifically wants to make a lethal game.
    2) The Immortality Effect is, IMHO, annoying. At rank 1 (like you have), it means if you die you come back in 2 weeks, which in a team setting can be problematic; really anything under rank 5 (1 day) just leaves your PC out of the loop for a long time in-game. Conversely, fast resurrection can be useful but is really expensive. I feel the sweet spot for resurrecting should be between 1 hour and 1 day (rank 5-10), but that's still 10-20 points for something that may not be that useful to you if the GM doesn't want to kill you on the regular.

To be fair, 1 rank Immo might still be nice to have for a big risky final battle where your PC dies and comes back after everything has cooled off, but that's pretty limited. Talk to your GM, see if they want a killing game and if they have any house rules about Immortality.

He later was recruited by the CIA as an operative and learned magic at an academy available in the setting. The idea is like James Bond or Jason Bourne with magic. Iíve opted for a mostly powered build where thing that can overlap, like insight and mind reading or investigation and postcognition are covered by the relevant power.

Derek Shepherd
    STR 0 AGI 0 FTG 0 AWE 0
    STA 10 DEX 0 INT 10 PRE 0
    So he has incredible superhuman intellect and stamina but is completely average in all of his other abilities? Even minion-level government agents have all of their Abilities in the 1-2 range with at least 3 FGT, and I would think a Bond or Bourne-level character would be better than that. Higher Abilities also feed into your Jack of all Trades Advantage, so consider what skills you might like a few free ranks in.

Advantages:Eidetic Memory, Power Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Jack of all Trades, Uncanny Dodge, Takedown 2, Prone Fighting, Chokehold, Evasion 2, Improved Critical: Unarmed 4, Improved Hold, Artificer, Ritualist

Skills: Deception +20, Perception +20
    Your Advantages are all over the place, with a lot of combat focus even though you have average FGT. Artificer and Ritualist both require some kind of magic skill (usually Expertise: Magic, but specializing doesn't hurt) but you haven't listed that as a skill despite magic academy training. You've got 2 skills at their PL cap but nothing else.

Powers:
    Array
    Concealment 6: all visual, all audible
    Senses 4 precognition, Custom Extra: simultaneous (see remote sensing)
    13points
    So invisibility and Precog in one array. Are they similar thematically somehow or are you just matching them for points? And I'm guessing the Simultaneous Extra is to keep you sharp and aware even while seeing the future. Precog is another one of those red flag powers that GMs can be tricky about, so consider dropping it if it isn't critical to your PC.

Array
    Affliction 12, cumulative, accurate 4, subtle 2, Insidious
    Resisted by will; entranced, compelled, controlled
    Strength 8, Multiattack on strength, accurate 6
    Mind reading 12, close, cumulative, effortless, subtle 2, accurate 4
    Illusion 10: sight and sound
    34 points
    Four more powers in an array. The mental powers are at least similar, if a little over the top, both touch-based and undetectable. The Multiattack Strength comes out of nowhere and the Illusion feels tacked on.

Flight 1, continuous
    3 points
    Imortality 1
    2points
    Variable 1, continuous, free action, check required expertise: magic 11
    9 points
    I've had my say about Immo. Not sure why Continuous is so important on Flight. Or on the Variable for that matter; it's already changeable as a Free Action, so who cares if you lose the confiq when you're stunned? I assume this is some kind of cantrip Variable for whipping off small quick spells: definitely need to get the skill for it. Personally, I like small tight Variables, but yet another GM red flag.

Dynamic array
    Summon 8, active, multiple Minions 2, Mental Link
    Teleport 15, Accurate, extra mass 8, Turnabout, change Velocity
    Insubstantial 4
    Morph 3: humanoids
    62 points
    Honestly, this whole array is problematic. Multiple summons near PL for a PC is just a huge red flag, Insub 4 would definitely need to be susceptible to something (magic is obvious choice), the teleport seems like a big expensive bus, all in a Dynamic Array so you can run them all at once? Morph 3 is the least problematic, and honestly you could fudge a Morph 1 out of your Variable if you don't mind losing those little magic spells while in disguise (or you could just use your Deception +20). I'd recommend ditching the whole array, recovering all those points and putting a few more into your Flight if you want a good travel power.

Feature 1: Sense Memory
    Like photographic memory for all senses, good for making better illusions or projecting a remembered face to others
    1 point
    Sure why not?

Defenses
    TOU 10 STM 10 WIL 10 DGE 10 PRY 10
    30 points

Offense
    Initiative +0
    Unarmed +12 DC 23/25/28 crit 16
    Affliction + 8 DC 22
    Grab DC 18, 23 to break out

Abilities 40 + advantages 20+ skills 20 + defenses 30 + powers 123 = 251 O.o

Iíll take any advise even if it changes the build a lot, so donít hold back. I imagine I will need so major revisions to make this work.
    I'd say you're trying to do far too much with one character. Make them great at a few things and reasonably good at a few more. You seem to be leaning toward a magic spy, so why not focus more on disguises and information gathering? Array your Invisibility and Morph to change or hide your appearance. Maybe keep the subtle touch mind reading but tone down the mind control; build up your PRE-skills instead to persuade people to let you get close enough to read them. Get rid of the MultiSTR, Accurates and ImpCrits and buy up your FGT and other martial art skills so your PC isn't completely dependent on magic. Focus more making a PC that is interesting to play rather than afraid of dying or losing.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!