Thread: North of Freedom: A Toronto-based Freedom-verse Setting & House Rules [M&M 2E]

UN Basic Recipient

North of Freedom: A Toronto-based Freedom-verse Setting & House Rules [M&M 2E]

Thank you for joining me as I undertake the daunting task of starting a Play by Post Game set in the Freedom-verse! I have chosen to use the 2E Rule Set as I feel it is more balanced allowing Attack/Defense shifted characters to operate on a similar budget as their Effect/Resistance shifted compatriots, also I enjoy the more detailed skillset, and find the Skill budget more effectively allows for the creation of certain archetypes like the crime fighter,.

North of Freedom is a game based specifically on Western superheroes, mostly as found in Marvel & DC comics and movies. Characters from other genres, anime, manga, and video games will need substantial adaptation to fit them into the setting. A character with a giant mecha, magical girl or a sentai team would not be appropriate to the setting, but a character with a huge battlesuit or a sidekick or two could fit right in. As a superhero game, player characters are superheroes, and they are expected to act like it. That means making a conscious choice to use their gifts to help others, to go out looking for trouble instead of just waiting around for it to find them. This is a game for "superheroes," not "people with powers." Think less Heroes, Jessica Jones or Daredevil, and more Flash, Supergirl or any MCU-style films. It means that while they may be flawed, while they may make mistakes, they learn from those mistakes, they always strive to be better people, and there are some lines, like murder, that cannot be crossed without great consequence. This doesn't mean that your hero has to have a codename, a costume, a secret identity, and superpowers, but it does mean that they should have at least one item off of that list. Otherwise, they don't fit the flavor of the game, I'm not looking for morally-ambiguous antiheroes who would be more at home in the Iron Age. Having a character who is unsure of their abilities or ambivalent about being a superhero, however, is just fine as long as you, the player, understand that they are growing towards a more heroic nature.

That being said, I will begin referencing my House Rules, the Setting, and then begin to introduce notable NPC's.

Guidelines & House Rules:
    Last edited by Zen_Gypsy; 11-29-2018 at 06:21 PM.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: North of Freedom: A Toronto-based Freedom-verse Setting & House Rules [M&M 2E]

Abilities:

The maximum Trade Off is +5/-5, or half the PL of the Campaign rounded down, whichever value is smaller. As North of Freedom will be a PL10 Campaign, the Trade is as above, +5/-5. Luck has been removed as a Feat; your Charisma Modifier determines your starting HP Pool, someone with 10 (+0) Charisma begins a scenario with zero HP's; whereas someone with 18 (+4) Charisma would begin any given scenario with 4 HP's. The number of starting HP's is capped at 1/2 PL, or 5 for the North of Freedom Campaign.

Below are some Benchmarks for various Ability levels to help players determine where their characters rank with either physical, metal, or social attributes;

Ability Score:
    • 10 An average untrained human who possesses no natural talent in physical, mental, or social talents governed by the associated attribute. Any value lower than represents either someone who is at extremes of their age range, young or old, sick, infirm, disabled. Examples: Average untrained Human
    • 12 Above average, but not overly so. Physically this is a late high school athlete who has so raw, untrained potential, or, mentally, that annoying guy who doesn't need to study for tests and tends to get passing grades. Examples: High School Athlete, 'B' Student
    Last edited by Zen_Gypsy; 11-30-2018 at 10:48 AM.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: North of Freedom: A Toronto-based Freedom-verse Setting & House Rules [M&M 2E]

Combat:

UN Basic Recipient

Skills:

UN Basic Recipient

Feats:

UN Basic Recipient

Powers:

UN Basic Recipient

Descriptors: