Thread: Sword Maneuvers

Sword Maneuvers

Of course, I titled this post with the old name I had for this...

Thought it was time to spice things up for warriors and warrior-types... Enjoy!

TALENT: Swordsmanship
    Classes: Warrior, Swashbuckler*
    Novice: You learn three sword techniques. You can perform sword techniques with any curve blade, heavy blade, or rapier. You have a number of Battle Points equal to 5 + your Willpower.
    Journeyman: You learn two sword techniques. Your Battle Points is equal to 10 + your Willpower.
    Master: You learn two sword techniques. Sword techniques cost you 1 less Battle Point.

*If you are using my Swashbuckler class, you start at level 1 with this talent. If you are using the Swashbuckler specialization, you gain access to this talent after choosing it as one of your specializations.

SWORD TECHNIQUE FORMAT

Name: What the sword technique is called and what sword techniques are required to learn it, if any.

TN: Your attack roll must meet or beat this number for you to successfully use the sword technique. Note: magic swords often give you a bonus on attack rolls. Since it is based on an attack roll, sword techniques trigger combat stunts.

Cost: Tells you how much Battle Points (BP) a sword maneuver costs.

Range: The range of sword techniques is always melee, unless you Lunge.

Weapon Damage: Weapon damage is equal to the sword you are wielding. Often times, the sword technique will call out that it deals only half damage (rounded down).

Deflect Missile (Requires Parry)
    TN: 15
    Cost: 7 or 5 BP
    Action: Immediate Action
    You block an incoming ranged attack. You cannot use this sword technique more than once per round. If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, this sword technique costs 5 BP.

Feint
    Cost: 4 BP
    Action: Minor Action
    You throw your opponent off-guard and have a –3 penalty to Defense against your next attack.

Flurry of Blows
    Cost: 5-11 BP
    Following a melee attack roll, you make another melee attack. For every 3 BP you spend beyond 5 BP, you can make another attack with a –2 penalty.

Hamstring (Requires Thrust)
    TN: 12
    Cost: 3 BP
    Action: Major Action
    You deal half weapon damage to one enemy and must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina). The enemy’s speed is reduced by half and cannot Charge or Run. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing.

Lunge
    TN: 11
    Cost: 2 BP
    Action: Minor Action
    You extend your reach with your sword to 2 yards. However, you suffer a –1 penalty to your Defense until the start of your next turn.

Overhead Chop
    TN: 13
    You swing with power rather than precision. You suffer –2 penalty to your next attack, but deal 3 + weapon damage if you hit. If you hit with an All-Out Attack, you deal 1d6+3 + weapon damage instead.

Parry
    Cost: 5 or 3 BP
    You block an incoming melee attack. You cannot use this sword technique more than once per round. If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, this sword technique costs 3 BP.

Pommel Strike
    You deal half weapon damage (rounded down) to one enemy. The enemy is knocked prone and cannot take a major action on their next turn. If this would reduce the enemy to 0 Health, you can choose to knock them unconscious for 1d6–1 hours (minimum 1 hour) instead.

Quick Draw
    TN: 9
    Cost: 2 BP
    You draw up to two melee weapons.

Riposte (Requires Parry)
    Cost: 7 or 5 BP
    You follow a missed melee attack or Parry with a melee attack. You cannot use this sword technique more than once per round. If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, this sword technique costs 5 BP.

Shatter Guard
    You reduce your opponent’s Armor Rating by 1d6–2 (minimum 1 AR) and deal half weapon damage (rounded down) to one enemy. You cannot use this technique with a rapier.

Slice Artery (Requires Thrust)
    Following performing a combat stunt or Thrust, the target must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina) or be dealt 1d6–1 penetrating damage per round. If you are wielding a rapier, this deals 1d6+2 penetrating damage per round instead. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing. This sword technique has no affect on opponents who do not have blood or something similar to it, such as ghosts or slimes.

Sweeping Attack
    You deal half weapon damage (rounded down) to up to 3 enemies. If they do not take a 2-yard step back, they take instead take weapon damage.

Thrust (Requires Lunge)
    You deal 1d6+3 penetrating damage to one enemy.

Twist of the Blade
    You lock an opponent’s weapon, and the target must succeed a TN 15 Strength (Might) with a major action or is unable to make an attack with that weapon. This sword technique requires a minor action to maintain and are unable to attack with your sword, but are able to make an attack with another weapon (such as a fist or an off-hand weapon). You can perform the Disarm Stunt for 1 SP while locked.
    Last edited by Otog; 11-25-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Sword Maneuvers

So I'm assuming "Battle Points" are covered in your Swashbuckler class?

Have you considered dropping the BP cost AND the TN and just giving everything a stunt point cost? Hear me out. Instead of swordsman maneuvers becoming Stunts in their own right (as in, you have to Stunt to use them), they become minor details you can add to a successful attack roll—assuming your stunt die rolls high enough. The reason I suggest this is because I LOATH systems that tell me I have to have a special character feature to do something anyone might be able to do in combat. Feint and Hamstring are good examples here. Anyone skilled in fighting should be able to do those things (hamstring is really just a called shot with a special feature tagged to it, and feint is simply misdirection). The problem (as I see it) is that it limits player creativity in play.

So instead of setting these things up like spells, why not just make them trappings of a successful attack? You have a stunt die that is generating a number whether it stunts or not. So if I roll a successful attack and get a 3 on my stunt die, the talent lets me use a feint, and do an extra point of damage or two (to keep a clear distinction between Stunts and non-Stunts).

This doesn't work for everything (deflect missile), but it has two added benefits. First, its not an all-or-nothing binary action. I make a successful attack AND get a minor special benefit. Second, it builds on the stunt die, one of the key components of the AGE system.

Having played in games with mechanics like these before (Witch Hunter: the Invisible World), my experience has been that they never turn out to be a net benefit to the players. It's a cool idea though.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by BluSponge View Post
    So I'm assuming "Battle Points" are covered in your Swashbuckler class?
    Nope, and that probably warranted further definition from the initial post. "Battle Points" is just a generic name I came up with the represent a fighter's stamina, skill, and mental acuity to perform sword techniques. Although you have a small pool of them, my intention is that you would regain BP every time you regain Health. Anyone can crudely swing a sword (or axe, hammer, etc.), but someone with the swordsmanship talent is an artist and really bring out the versatility of the weapon. That was the point of this: often times I found that rolls degenerates into trying to get the biggest pile of d6s and throwing it against an AR.

So instead of setting these things up like spells, why not just make them trappings of a successful attack? You have a stunt die that is generating a number whether it stunts or not. So if I roll a successful attack and get a 3 on my stunt die, the talent lets me use a feint, and do an extra point of damage or two (to keep a clear distinction between Stunts and non-Stunts).

This doesn't work for everything (deflect missile), but it has two added benefits.
    I like this idea, but it really does fall apart once you get away from something be an attack. I can see Feint having something like "you forego weapon damage to instead throw your opponent off balance" but if you are doing that with an attack, the enemy can just move away from you on his or her turn. Also, things like Parry would not happen on your turn, it is a response to another's action, and Lunge would not require a roll (which as is, it really should not require a roll anyway).

First, its not an all-or-nothing binary action. I make a successful attack AND get a minor special benefit. Second, it builds on the stunt die, one of the key components of the AGE system.
    I like this too. However, the only way I could see this working is that each sword technique becomes its own little ruleset. If these sword techniques were kept really simple, I can see it working like this. One of the other big advantages of AGE is its simplicity, and I do not want to stray too far away from it.

Thanks for your input Tom, I think I will take another crack at this with your suggestions in mind
    Star Wars: AGE of the Empire: An ever-expanding adaption of the Star Wars universe utilizing the AGE ruleset and compatible with the Fantasy Age Basic Rulebook.

Expanded Classes Playtest: Adding the Bard, Swashbuckler, and Templar classes. As well as introducing archetypes that gives players different options from the start of play.

Dustin & Dragons.com: A very uncreative name for my blog on my RPG-related creative projects.

How about this?

Backswing (Requires Flurry of Blows)
    Action: All-Out Attack
    Stunt Die: 4+
    If you hit, you can make another melee attack against an adjacent opponent with a –2 penalty.

Action: Reaction
    Stunt Die: *5+
    You make an attack roll against an incoming bullet, bolt, or arrow. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack and cannot use this sword technique more than once per round.
    *If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, you only need 4 or better on your Stunt Die.

Feint
    Action: Move
    Stunt Die: 3+
    You forego movement to instead make a melee attack roll against an opponent. If you hit, you deal no damage but you throw your opponent off-guard and it has a –3 penalty to Defense against your next attack this round.

Flurry of Blows
    Regardless if you hit or miss, you can make another melee attack against the same opponent with a –3 penalty.

Hamstring (Requires Pierce)
    Action: Attack
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage and your opponent must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina). On a failure, your opponent’s speed is reduced by half and cannot Charge or Run. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing.

Lunge
    Stunt Die:
    You extend your reach with your sword to 2 yards. However, you suffer a –1 penalty to your Defense until the start of your next turn.

Overhead Chop
    If you hit, you deal 1d6+3 + weapon damage. However, you cannot Charge or Run during your next turn.

Parry
    Stunt Die: *4+
    You make an attack roll against an incoming melee weapon attack. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack and cannot use this sword technique more than once per round.
    *If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, you only need 3 or better on your Stunt Die.

Pierce (Requires Lunge)
    If you hit, you forego weapon damage and instead deal 1d6+3 penetrating damage.

Pommel Strike
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and the enemy is knocked prone and cannot take a major action on their next turn. If this would reduce the enemy to 0 Health, you can choose to knock them unconscious for 1d6–1 hours (minimum 1 hour) instead.

Quick Draw
    Action: Free Action
    Stunt Die:

Riposte (Requires Parry)
    Stunt Die:
    You make a melee attack with a –2 penalty following a missed melee attack against you or Parry. You cannot use this sword technique more than once per round.

Slice Artery (Requires Pierce)
    Stunt Die: 5+
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and the enemy must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina) or be dealt 1d6–1 penetrating damage (minimum 1 penetrating damage) per round. If you are wielding a rapier, this deals 1d6+2 penetrating damage per round instead. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing. This sword technique has no affect on opponents who do not have blood or something similar to it, such as ghosts or slimes.

Shatter Guard
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and reduce your opponent’s Armor Rating by 1d6–2 (minimum 1 AR). You cannot use this technique with a rapier.

Sweeping Attack
    You make a single attack roll and target against up to 3 enemies. If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down). If they do not take a 2-yard step back, they take full weapon damage instead.

Twist of the Blade
    If you hit, you forego weapon damage and the opponent’s weapon is locked. It is unable to attack with it and must make an opposed test against your attack roll vs. the target’s Strength (Might) to free it. You are unable to attack with your sword during this, but are able to make an attack with another weapon (such as a fist or an off-hand weapon). While locked, you can perform the Disarm Stunt for 1 SP.
    Last edited by Otog; 11-29-2018 at 09:04 AM.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Otog View Post
    I like this idea, but it really does fall apart once you get away from something be an attack. I can see Feint having something like "you forego weapon damage to instead throw your opponent off balance" but if you are doing that with an attack, the enemy can just move away from you on his or her turn. Also, things like Parry would not happen on your turn, it is a response to another's action, and Lunge would not require a roll (which as is, it really should not require a roll anyway).
    Well some of those would simply become Opposed rolls, wouldn't they? Again, the probably with making Parry a *special* maneuver suggests that without it you simply cannot parry an attack. But I get what you are saying. I just think that rather than adding a whole new framework on top the existing one, you should endeavor to incorporate this into what is already there.

I like this too. However, the only way I could see this working is that each sword technique becomes its own little ruleset. If these sword techniques were kept really simple, I can see it working like this. One of the other big advantages of AGE is its simplicity, and I do not want to stray too far away from it.
    Me too, and I certainly wouldn't suggest making each maneuver its own ruleset (though that's kinda what you are already doing, isn't it? Since in your original draft maneuvers are pretty much spells by another name.)

Thanks for your input Tom, I think I will take another crack at this with your suggestions in mind
    No problem. I'm a big fan of the swashbuckling adventure genre and love the idea of FAGE having more support for it. But I've also seen first hand how this sort of approach (and honestly, a lot of Talent/Advantage/Edge systems make this mistake IMNSHO) stifles player creativity and forces them to think in terms of the game as opposed to the game supporting action. That may sound strange, but it makes a huge different in play.

Tom

UN Basic Recipient

I'm going to focus on your primaries. I wonder if your second tier maneuvers shouldn't be stunts that require a maneuver. As in if you know Parry and roll a Stunt, Riposte becomes part of your menu. That gives you more freedom to make those maneuvers stronger without messing with the system.

Before we get started, I wonder if you shouldn't be able to just sacrifice your Minor Action to perform a maneuver on top of your attack. That seems simpler to me—one less detail to remember.

Feint
    You forego movement to instead make a melee attack roll against an opponent. If you hit, you deal no damage but you throw your opponent off-guard and it has a –3 penalty to Defense against your next attack this round.
    I would treat this more like a personal Set-Up. So I'd let it do damage was usual (or maybe half damage) AND give your opponent a –2 defense on your next attack.

Flurry of Blows
    Regardless if you hit or miss, you can make another melee attack against the same opponent with a –3 penalty.
    Eh. Extra rolls slow the game down too much. What about you do bonus damage equal to 1/2 of your stunt die, rounded down.

Lunge
    Stunt Die:
    Does this benefit really outweigh the penalty?

Overhead Chop
    If you hit, you deal 1d6+3 + weapon damage. However, you cannot Charge or Run during your next turn.
    With this one, I'm not sure the penalty really stands up to the benefit.

Parry
    Stunt Die: *4+
    You make an attack roll against an incoming melee weapon attack. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack and cannot use this sword technique more than once per round.
    *If you took the Defend or Guard Up action during your turn, you only need 3 or better on your Stunt Die.
    Hmmm, see this one is tricky. I actually wouldn't have a Stunt cost on this one. Or make it 2 if absolutely necessary. It's Parry, for crying out loud. I'd change the language accordingly:
    Once per round, you may make an attack roll against an incoming melee weapon attack. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack.

I also think if you STUNT on a Parry, you should be able to Riposte immediately.

Pommel Strike
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and the enemy is knocked prone and cannot take a major action on their next turn. If this would reduce the enemy to 0 Health, you can choose to knock them unconscious for 1d6–1 hours (minimum 1 hour) instead.
    I would change this to do your Stunt die in damage, and reduce the stunt die to 3+. Keep the rest the same.

Quick Draw
    Stunt Die:
    So question: wouldn't the Ready minor action already cover this? I don't see anything in the language that would limit it to one weapon. If it doesn't, I would just make this a Minor action (or modified Ready). If it does, they I would make Ready a Free Action.

Shatter Guard
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and reduce your opponent’s Armor Rating by 1d6–2 (minimum 1 AR). You cannot use this technique with a rapier.
    Is the AR reduction permanent? I might just reduce it by half of your weapon damage (min. 1 AR), especially if the effect only lasts one turn.

Sweeping Attack
    You make a single attack roll and target against up to 3 enemies. If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down). If they do not take a 2-yard step back, they take full weapon damage instead.
    Eh. That's awfully tactical. I would do this instead:
    On a successful attack against your target, you do half your Stunt die in damage against up to three adjacent foes.

If you want to keep the tactical element, let those foes sacrifice their minor action on their next turn (or move back 2 yards immediately—a reaction?) to avoid the damage.

Twist of the Blade
    If you hit, you forego weapon damage and the opponent’s weapon is locked. It is unable to attack with it and must make an opposed test against your attack roll vs. the target’s Strength (Might) to free it. You are unable to attack with your sword during this, but are able to make an attack with another weapon (such as a fist or an off-hand weapon). While locked, you can perform the Disarm Stunt for 1 SP.
    Well first i would change the name to Bind. Otherwise, I like it.

Tom

UN Basic Recipient

More on the interest of keeping things simple.

I would have three tiers of stunt die reqs. 0, 3+, and 5+. This way the player doesn't constantly have to check to see if they can preform a maneuver.

In addition, I might add a potential benefit where the swordsman can claim a "signature move", reducing the required cost of a single maneuver to the next lower step (so 5+ would become 3+, 3+ would become 0).

Thoughts?
    Tom

After spending some time to mull this over, I do want there to be some kind of resource management. The reason being is that, eventually, the fighter runs out of steam and is swinging his or her sword like everyone else. You can only parry so many blows, perform so many tricks, before fatigue and exhaustion set in.

The resource that I am looking at right now is Health. It is already part of the game, warriors already have more of it than anyone else, and it is representation of the things I just described.

I am also looking into this being an optional ruleset and not a talent, as this easily makes it the most powerful talent in the game.

Lastly, I am looking at making this so instead of gaining foci as you level, you can learn these sword skills instead. This not only conveys that these maneuvers require time, training, and an investment that may leave someone wanting in other areas but also balance it out against mages and rogues.

You brought up a lot of good points...
    • I like the name changes (especially Bind).
    • Using the result on the Stunt Die as part of damage.
    • Simplifying tiers on how many points or result on your Stunt Die you need.

It may be a little more before I finalize this but thank you for your input!

UN Basic Recipient

Lastly, I am looking at making this so instead of gaining foci as you level, you can learn these sword skills instead. This not only conveys that these maneuvers require time, training, and an investment that may leave someone wanting in other areas but also balance it out against mages and rogues.
    While I PERSONALLY wouldn't limit Rogues and Mages from learning maneuvers, I think the idea of maneuvers as foci is brilliant!

You wouldn't have to ditch your initial plan to offer a Talent, either. The talent could frontload a small number of low end maneuvers, and be limited to Warriors (and Rogues, perhaps). Foci, being easier to acquire than Talents or Specializations, make a nice vehicle for this sort of thing.

That's all I'll add while I wait for your next iteration. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the next metamorphosis of your idea.

Tom

Learning and Using Sword Skills: Instead of gaining foci as you level, you can learn these special techniques. You can perform sword skills with any curve blade, heavy blade, or rapier. Anyone can learn and use sword skills, so long as they are trained in the sword he or she is wielding.

This last part includes Sword Mages.

Name: What the sword technique is called and what sword skill are required to learn it, if any.

Cost: Tells you how much Fatigue you must pay. You can think of Fatigue as another pool of damage. Its maximum is the same as your Health and if you are dealt damage or spend Fatigue that is equal to or greater than your current Health total, you become exhausted by the effort you have exerted during battle. In game terms, you are unable to perform sword skills or stunt for the rest of the combat encounter. Unlike regular damage, Fatigue goes away after the combat encounter is over.

Range: The range of sword skills is always melee, unless you Lunge.

Weapon Damage: Weapon damage is equal to the sword you are wielding. Often times, the sword technique will call out that it deals only half damage (rounded down).

Stunt die to damage is easier, but just doesn't cut it in late game and easily gets eaten up by AR. I like the half damage mechanic, because the effect also reflects the weapon your using.

Backswing (Requires Flurry of Blows)
    Cost: 5 Fatigue
    If you hit, you can make another melee attack against an adjacent opponent with a -2 penalty.

Binding Blade
    Cost: 3 Fatigue
    If you hit, you forego weapon damage and the opponent’s weapon is bound. It is unable to attack with it and must make an opposed test against your attack roll vs. the target’s Strength (Might) to free it. You are unable to attack with your sword during this, but are able to make an attack with another weapon (such as a fist or an off-hand weapon). While bound, you can perform the Disarm Stunt for 1 SP.

Once per round, you can make an attack roll against an incoming bullet, bolt, or arrow. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack.

Feint
    You forego movement to instead make a melee attack roll against an opponent. If you hit, you deal no damage but you throw your opponent off-guard and it has a -2 penalty to Defense against your next attack this round.

Flashing Blade (Requires Footwork)
    Once per round, you can make a melee attack against an enemy that moves away from you or passed by you.

Flurry of Blows
    You make two melee attacks against the same opponent with a -2 penalty.

Footwork
    Cost: 1 Fatigue
    Once per round, you can move 2 yards when an opponent moves adjacent to you. You can do this while unarmed, but the opponent can make a melee attack against you with a -2 penalty.

Hair’s Breadth (Requires Footwork and Parry)
    Once per round, you can move 2 yards when you would be hit by an attack. This negates damage but not any other affect of the attack, such as if you would be disarmed.

Hamstring (Requires Thrust)
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage and your opponent must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina). On a failure, your opponent’s speed is reduced by half and cannot Charge or Run. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing.

Lunge
    You extend your reach with your sword to 2 yards.

Overhead Chop
    If you hit, you deal 1d6 + weapon damage.

Parry
    Once per round, you can make an attack roll against an incoming melee weapon attack. If you meet or exceed your attacker’s roll, you block the attack. You must be aware of the attack.

Pommel Strike

Quick Draw
    You draw up to two weapons.

Riposte (Requires Parry)
    Action: Free
    Once per round, you can make a melee attack with a –2 penalty following a missed melee attack against you or Parry.

I know what you said about stunting with Parry, but this also triggers on a normal miss from an opponent, making it much more applicable.

Slice Artery (Requires Thrust)
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and the enemy must succeed a TN 15 Constitution (Stamina) or be dealt 1d6–1 penetrating damage (minimum 1 penetrating damage) per round. If you are wielding a rapier, this deals 1d6+2 penetrating damage per round instead. This lasts until the target succeeds the ability test or receives healing. This sword skill has no affect on opponents who do not have blood or something similar to it, such as ghosts or slimes.

Shatter Guard
    If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) and reduce your opponent’s Armor Rating by 1d6–2 (minimum 1 AR). This penalty lasts until the end of the combat encounter. You cannot use this sword skill with a rapier.

Sweeping Attack
    You make a single melee attack roll against up to 3 enemies. If you hit, you deal half weapon damage (rounded down) unless they immediately move a 2 yards back.

Thrust (Requires Lunge)
    If you hit, you forego weapon damage and instead deal 1d6+3 penetrating damage. If you also used Lunge to reach your opponent, you instead deal 2d6+3 penetrating damage.
    Last edited by Otog; Yesterday at 05:01 AM.