Thread: Beefing Up Adversaries

UN Basic Recipient

Beefing Up Adversaries

Quick question regarding the adjustments for making creatures Elite, Heroic or Epic. (Page 104 of the Basic Rules). Are the modifications for each category cumulative?

For example if I want to make an Elite version of a creature I apply the modifications listed next to Elite. That is straightforward.

If I wanted to make a Heroic version of a creature, do I first apply the modifications for Elite, and then the modifications for Heroic? Or do I ignore the modifications for Elite and just apply the modifications for Heroic to the base creature?

I guess it does not matter either way so long as the creature is balanced against the player characters. But for the sake of completeness, I was wondering what the official way of doing it is (assuming there is one).

Thanks in Advance.

OPA Belta

Re: Beefing Up Adversaries

Quote Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
    Quick question regarding the adjustments for making creatures Elite, Heroic or Epic. (Page 104 of the Basic Rules). Are the modifications for each category cumulative?

For example if I want to make an Elite version of a creature I apply the modifications listed next to Elite. That is straightforward.

If I wanted to make a Heroic version of a creature, do I first apply the modifications for Elite, and then the modifications for Heroic? Or do I ignore the modifications for Elite and just apply the modifications for Heroic to the base creature?

I guess it does not matter either way so long as the creature is balanced against the player characters. But for the sake of completeness, I was wondering what the official way of doing it is (assuming there is one).

Thanks in Advance.
    I always applied the modifications in a cumulative way. Since I compared them with the rules for NPCs of different threat levels in the FAGE companion, however, I became doubtful. The cumulative approach seems a bit like overkill. An official ruling would be most welcome.

OPA Belta

You apply the template, so it would be to the base stats.

I believe the intent was that you just add what the template asks you to add. Adding both is probably more than they intend for you to do with an adversary, but if you need a nasty challenge that stacking of templates can make a solid threat.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    I believe the intent was that you just add what the template asks you to add. Adding both is probably more than they intend for you to do with an adversary, but if you need a nasty challenge that stacking of templates can make a solid threat.
    Yeah. The templates are really a quick and dirty GM tool to make beefier adversaries. There's nothing to stop you from using multiple templates other than at that point you're really better off just making your own -- or customizing and applying templates to them.

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks all. That answers my query

OPA Belta

I would love to see something like the Advanced Bestiary available in Fantasy AGE flavor.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchpad View Post
    I would love to see something like the Advanced Bestiary available in Fantasy AGE flavor.
    They sort of did something like that in the Fantasy AGE Bestiary - starting on page 133 called "Modifying Monsters"
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by mdlthree View Post
    They sort of did something like that in the Fantasy AGE Bestiary - starting on page 133 called "Modifying Monsters"
    I was thinking something with a bit more meat. Like the Advanced Bestiary GR made for Pathfinder.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

Templates are always fun!
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!