Thread: Aliens Without Humans

Protomolecule Host

Aliens Without Humans

So, just an idea I'm brainstorming right now: A crew of space mercenaries/pirates, mostly Chaotic Good-(ish), set very VERY VERY far in the future (roughly 2.2 billion years in the future, give or take; it's not really specific). The basic idea is that our solar system has been gone for quite some time, and universally, the lights will go out for good at some point in the next million years or so.

The crew of the ship is a ragtag band of misfits, who chose to work together for some reason. The catch? Not a one of them are human. Their "powers" are just abilities that are indigenous to their species. Other than that, they tend to wear a Survival Harness (communicator/Universal Translator/Enviro-Adaptor), and carry a weapon or two with them. Essentially, picture a cross between the Jonni Future series and the Starjammers (the setting is very pulp-inspired).

And yes, humanity does still exist in this era, but they're scattered all over the place; they're just not in the spotlight any longer. Do you think it would be possible to play an all-alien crew without a Token Human? Or does this sort of idea need a human for the "audience" to relate to?
    "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.

Re: Aliens Without Humans

Why not? I've played in a few fantasy groups over the years where not a single PC was human. Seems to be the same concept, just in a different setting. Even in most fantasy settings, the only reason a group usually "needs" a human or two is to act as a face for the group when in areas mostly populated by humans instead of the locals seeing a group of "monsters" and panicking. Even then, as long as the PCs are human like races (Elves, Dwarves, Halfings, etc.) the only real hurdle is cultural differences and a touch of xenophobia, but that is nowhere near as bad as "MONSTERS!!! Call for the town guard" every time the group goes near civilization.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

Re: Aliens Without Humans

Sounds interesting!

You might take a look at the 70s to 90s Guardians of the Galaxy, most of whom were from planets where humans had long ago been genetically engineered to live there and weren’t much like baseline humans any more... a crystal man who could shoot heat and cold blasts, for instance.

The big question is what sort of aliens were you thinking of? How close to human? Forehead bump aliens from Trek, honorable warrior lion people, or further out, like blobs, energy clouds or Puppeteers from Ringworld? Having other members of the races the PCs are from in the area they operate in would be important to show how typical or atypical they are.

Protomolecule Host

Lightbulb Re: Aliens Without Humans

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
    The big question is what sort of aliens were you thinking of?
    First of all, no mega-powered Ben 10-style aliens. Mostly I see them as humanoid-ish, like the Shi'ar or Barsoom Red Martians (maybe having minor things like unusual skin-tones, or Kit Fisto-style tentacle "dreadlocks"), or TMNT-style half-human/animal types. Some of them might be Expies of already-existing fictional species, such as ERB's Green Martians, or the Yautja. If the characters have powers, they're just abilities indigenous to their species (some have cybernetic upgrades, but this is rare). There would be more focus on their skills/abilities rather than "Watch me take out a dozen mooks with a lightning bolt!".

As I said, humans do exist in this future/universe; it's just that it's such a huge universe that they're scattered all over the place. As a result, there's barely any interaction with them.

The main plot would focus on the five-being crew of a ship (i.e., the players in my group). To some systems, they're just mercenaries/freebooters; to others, they're dangerous individuals who need to be stopped. Think the Starjammers meets Jonni Future.
    "Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man." - Clark Savage, Jr.