Thread: Advantage to swap one attribute for another on a skill still good?

Advantage to swap one attribute for another on a skill still good?

Something that was common in 2e was a swap feat, something that let you use one skill or attribute for something else. I've seen it a few times in 3e, but not in a big way. Something like "Nimble - Use Agility instead of Strength for Athletics." Are those allowed now? Should they be, if they make sense, or is it better to keep attributes for their linked skills and nothing more?

I've done a Fascinate with Expert: Science as the character goes on and on about science, putting people in a daze.

Re: Advantage to swap one attribute for another on a skill still good?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
    Something that was common in 2e was a swap feat, something that let you use one skill or attribute for something else. I've seen it a few times in 3e, but not in a big way. Something like "Nimble - Use Agility instead of Strength for Athletics." Are those allowed now? Should they be, if they make sense, or is it better to keep attributes for their linked skills and nothing more?

I've done a Fascinate with Expert: Science as the character goes on and on about science, putting people in a daze.
    What is or isn't allowed really comes down to your GM, but yes, people still do this sort of thing from time to time on builds in 3E. I think they just tried to let the generic Benefit advantage cover a lot more than having to spell out every single thing you could or couldn't do.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

I don't see the reason for such an advantage.
    If you want to increase the skill, pay the points and buy ranks.
    Apprentice Mastermind:
    Assorted Builds: https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMast...iscreants.html

The mechanical advantage can be a bit suspect, depending on the size of the bonus, but it is a nice way to build character, having someone whose Intimidate is based on feats of strength, for example.

Just my 2 cents but I generally run at as a one point Feature to staple one use of a skill on to another (B&E:Can use Stealth to bypass security) and a five point Feature to allow a skill to completely subsume the function of another (Canny Deception:Uses Insight in place of Deception) with the proviso that any given character can only have one use of the five point Feature.

OPA Belta

3e has "Benefit: Athletics Based on Agility" as a 1 rank advantage. It appears in Threat Reports and is part of the 3e module for HeroLabs as well.