Thread: Arcaen Devices

Arcaen Devices

One thing i have always liked from the Fantasy Age game is the Arcane Device. They allow a Mage to cast spells easier and while they can do so without them, i like seeing what kinds of Devices they create. Fore example, i am running a campaign right now where i have 2 Mages. One uses a Ring as his Arcane Device while the Other uses her Mothers Family Amulet.

Now previously i have done some work on making some sample Arcane Devices that can be used that give something special to each player. These Devices include but are not limited to; Mages Staff, Power Rod, Spell-book and Bardic Instrument.

I want to expand it a touch more, giving new options for Players. i will be posting some ideas here and if anyone wants to chime in with other ideas or input, please do so.

First and foremost, i want to go back over the Staff and the Wand. The Staff and Wand are the 2 most common Arcane Devices known throughout fiction in all their glory. one does not think about a Wizard without a Staff or Wand in his hands. That being said, the Mechanics of these devices are simple:

MAGES STAFF:
    The Mages Staff is a simple Quarterstaff that most mages can use in simple melee combat (Seeing as how all Mages have the Staves Weapons Group right off the bat). That being Said, the Mages Staff uses the Stats of the Quarterstaff when Attacking and dealing Damage. so it uses Accuracy (Staves) to hit and deals 1d6+1 in base damage. However, while in the hands of a Mage, the Mages Staff has 2 unique properties:
    • SPELL FOCUS: The Staff Provides a +2 bonus to Casting Rolls and Arcane Blast Attack Rolls
    • ELEMENTAL POWER: The Staff has a +2 bonus to Damage based on an Element of choice
      FIRE: Adds Bonus as Fire Damage
      FROST: Adds Bonus as Ice Damage
      LIGHTNING: Adds Bonus as Lightning Damage
      STONE: Adds Bonus as Physical Damage
      ARCANE:Adds Bonus as Magical Damage
      SPIRIT: Bonus is ALWAYS Penetrating Damage
    • The Element Chosen above adds to Arcane Blast Damage as well as Melee

MAGICAL WAND:
    The Wand is unique to the user and is made of 2 simple components, a Core and a Casing
    The Wand cannot be used as a Weapon and therefore has no Stats but each Core Component has a unique effect and the person will choose one of these in their Wand. as for the Casing, its more of an Aesthetic at this point but it may also have a unique effect (I haven't decided on that yet).
    SAMPLE CASINGS:
    Apple-wood, Ash, Birch, Black Walnut, Ceder, Cherry, Cypress, Ebony, Elm, Holy, Maple, Pine, Red Oak, Rosewood, Sycamore, and Yew
    SAMPLE CORES:
    Unicorn Hair: The Purity of the Unicorn Hair prevents the user from falling to darker impulses. This Core grants a +2 bonus to Willpower Tests
    Dragon Heartstring: Dragons are powerful creatures and as such provide the most power. This Core grants a +2 bonus to Spellpower
    Phoenix Feather: Capable of the Greatest Range of Magic, the Phoenix Feather Core grants a +2 bonus to Casting Rolls of Spells and Arcane Blast Attack Rolls
    Jackalope Antler: The intuitive nature of the Jackalope provides a +2 bonus to Initiative Rolls in Combat to Mages
    Basilisk Horn: there was only one Wand with this Core and no one knows what it does for it was a few centuries ago that it was made.

(I made the Wand in reference to the way they are made in the Harry Potter Universe, as it is a cool idea and i wanted to represent that here. it is a very unique look at wand-making and has this way of representing the personality of the user via what's inside. i have always enjoyed it.)

Re: Arcaen Devices

POWER ROD:
    there are many Rods of Power within each individual world. That being Said, they are very similar to Wands and Staves but offer a different set of ideas when being created.
    First and foremost, the Power Rod always contains 10 Magic Points stored within that can be used by the user first before digging into their own reserves. This recharges rather slowly though, only gaining 1d6 each day at dawn, so using them should be with care.
    Secondly, most Rods of Power come with Spells already Stored within that can be cast once each per day and regain their uses at dawn. The GM should pick one Arcana and 2 Novice, 1 Journeyman, and 1 Master of the list for that Arcana to be held within. If a Player knows these spells, that is alright since they can cast them from the Power Rod FIRST without spending MP to do so.
    Thirdly, you have to be at a certain level before you can access the Journeyman and Master Spells in a Power Rod. You must be at LEAST Level 3 to access the Journeyman Spell and at LEAST Level 6 to access the Master Spell
    Finally, the Rod can be used as an Improvised Weapon.

HOLY SYMBOLS:
    Holy Symbols are a staple of the Clerical types of casters. they are not just symbols of faith but are often a direct connection to their Deity in which they draw their power. Anyone can actually use a Holy Symbol and access this effect:[*]DIVINE FAVOR: once per day, the user can ask for guidance from their God. this will grant a +1 bonus to certain Tests the GM sees fit for the next hour.
    Anyone who is a Mage can access the above Power as well as the following:[*]While in Close proximity to the Mage, they gain a +2 bonus to damage vs. targets that are of an Infernal or Unholy nature such as Demons or Vampires[*]The Mage heals and can heal an extra +2 points when Resting or providing First-Aid or using a Healing Spell[*]Once per day, the Mage can access 10 points of Temporary Health that is used before theirs

ANIMAL TOTEMS:
    Animal Totems are unique devices that allow a spell-caster to access certain powers based on what the Totem represents. Each Totem is specific to the Animal in question. some examples are a Wolf Pelt Bracelet or a Bear Tooth Necklace. Once per Encounter, you can access the power of the Totem in Question. here are some sample Totem Powers:[*]EAGLE: Your Speed increases by +2 for 1 minute[*]BEAR: you deal an additional +2 on Melee Damage and Strength Tests for 1 minute[*]WOLF: When you use the Set Up Stunt, you can select an additional Ally for 1 extra Stunt Point. This effect can last the entire encounter
    Other animals can be used in a very similar fashion to this. Minor effects should be taken into consideration when making new Animal Totems

ARCANE GAUNTLET:
    The Arcane gauntlet is a powerful device that also aids in enhancing the physical capabilities of the user. It should be counted as a regular Gauntlet for Attack and Damage. The Arcane Gauntlet can also be used to empower ones melee attacks with their Arcane Blast. To do so, you simply make an Arcane Blast Roll like normal but add the Damage for the Gauntlet as well. However, you need to make a choice on whether you add your Strength or Willpower to the Damage not both.
    In addition, The Arcane Gauntlet has 10 Magic Points that can be used in place of your own. they refill at dawn each day, but if you reach 0, you must roll 1d6. if it is a 1, then the Gauntlet loses the Temporary MP it carries for 1 week.

SPELLBOOK:
    (Placeholder)

BARDIC INSTRUMENT:
    (Placeholder)

ARCANE RING:
    (Placeholder)

ARCANE AMULET:
    (Placeholder)