Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spell Bloom

OPA Belta

Re: Spell Bloom

There's ease, but then there's guarantee. And with DAGE (less with FAGE), it's have virtually no chance of failure. I wouldn't say that ease of success is necessarily a strength... because many attacks are actually failures without stunts. And a lot of the problem is with the development -- levels 1-5 were released before anything else was finalized.

Failure may not be fun, but it's dramatic and adds peril. If you're guaranteed success, just roll for stunts. Then why not just roll for stunts? Theres no glitch option - success but with complication.

While AGE is for newer (I'd also add casual) players, how long is someone new? You're not a new player at level 18!

You can always set your TNs higher if folks are making them too often. If AR is too high you can reduce it by limiting access or even allowing stunts to break armor down, reducing its AR value. AGE is easy to kit out for your needs.

Why not make a success with complication rule for your own games, does all of AGE need one? AGE by itself probably doesn't include it on purpose, keeping things simple but exciting. Why does a die roll need to be so open-ended? (some situations could call for a success with a low Stunt/Dragon/Drama Die result having complications) Some players are intimidated by such complication that can come from a simple attack roll, which might convince them that rolling tests aren't worth it (if they're suspicious or overly-cautious players, of which I have met a few). If that is you and your party's play style, however, then that would work well for you but not all groups.

Maybe you're not new to AGE when you're level 18, but if this is the only RPG you have tried, or this is the only character you have, that is still fairly new to AGE or RPGs in general. That question is a pretty broad one.
    If you like the Dragon Age RPG, please consider listening to my podcast: The Wonders of Thedas! We discuss classes, backgrounds, GMing techniques, specializations, play styles, and much more!
    You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Soundlcoud!

If you have a question about the Dragon Age RPG, have custom content you'd like to share with the world, or any other contribution, send a message to wondersofthedaspodcast@gmail.com, or through our Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Tumblr accounts!

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Kot the Protector View Post
    You can always set your TNs higher if folks are making them too often.
    That's a pretty standard option, however it's not the catch-all it is in other systems. With the bell curve, improbabilities quickly become virtual impossibilities.

This is especially true with opposed rolls. With sets 1&2 it was recommended to get Self Discipline and Stamina... now, it's easy for a mage to outspellpower what's mathematically possible to resist.

If AR is too high you can reduce it by limiting access or even allowing stunts to break armor down, reducing its AR value. AGE is easy to kit out for your needs.
    Messing with AR I think is a mistake. It's balanced with Speed and stunts. Also with Armor Training. Upping the damage worked much better.

And while AGE is easy to mod, at a certain point it's just easier to switch systems. Many of the house rules I've implemented have been my preference, but many have been flaw corrections.

Why not make a success with complication rule for your own games, does all of AGE need one? AGE by itself probably doesn't include it on purpose, keeping things simple but exciting. Why does a die roll need to be so open-ended? (some situations could call for a success with a low Stunt/Dragon/Drama Die result having complications) Some players are intimidated by such complication that can come from a simple attack roll, which might convince them that rolling tests aren't worth it (if they're suspicious or overly-cautious players, of which I have met a few). If that is you and your party's play style, however, then that would work well for you but not all groups.
    IMO, a complication roll would be a great addition to AGE and complement the stunt system. The cinematics pair well.

Originally, I also thought stunt failures would be fun -- a little more peril. But doubles on failing rolls, would be effectively more common than just failing rolls.

I thought about a complication roll being any roll that succeeded on the exact TN received a complication based on the Dragon Die (separate from stunts).

E.g., if you're shooting a gun at someone, these results of the Dragon Die would be added to both the regular Attack effect, and stunts if applicable.

1 - recoil forces you back 1 step
    3 - gun jams, requiring minor action
    6 - bullet ricochets and hits the computer you were sent to get

But it was more work than I wanted to put in.

Maybe you're not new to AGE when you're level 18, but if this is the only RPG you have tried, or this is the only character you have, that is still fairly new to AGE or RPGs in general. That question is a pretty broad one.
    Not really. If had never played an RPG before, I'd say you're new to RPGs from 1-2 or 1-3. After that, I wouldn't call you new... maybe not a veteran, but definitely not a newbie.

Which is why I found the Arcana system so confounding. It's good for two types of players: people who need quick characters on the fly (mostly GMs) and newbies.

But AGE as a whole is really great for casual gaming groups. By that, I mean groups with some experience and not a lot of time.

Actually, another way to help bypass the problem of over-healing is to impose time pressure on PCs, so they have a choice between 'taking a breather' or pressing on. Be sure that there are consequences if they want to rest up when the clock is ticking...

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Parsival View Post
    Actually, another way to help bypass the problem of over-healing is to impose time pressure on PCs, so they have a choice between 'taking a breather' or pressing on. Be sure that there are consequences if they want to rest up when the clock is ticking...
    A breather is only 5 minutes though. You're going to be hard pressed to maintain that consistent pressure.

OPA Belta

Addendum: You can totally change how breathers work, requiring more time or something else. My comment was more that I don't think the application of the current rule works... it would need to be changed.