Thread: One of my players would like to play a rhydan frog or toad. How would you do it?

Protomolecule Host Sentinel Ark's Avatar

One of my players would like to play a rhydan frog or toad. How would you do it?

So, as the end of Arc 2 of my campaign draws near, I asked if any of my players are thinking of trying different characters as about now would be a good time to let me know, so that I can prepare for an exit/entrance.

One of my players wants to try a different character concept: a small-sized rhydan frog or toad, somewhat inspired by Michigan J. Frog, while leaning heavily into the Illusion arcanum. I love the idea, but I'm looking for opinions on how one would describe a rhy-frog (or toad) via racial traits given that the default template doesn't include a frog or toad. Taking inspiration from the seafolk racial traits, I've brainstormed:

• Water Dependency / Dehydration (Frog only)
    • Water Breathing (Frog only)
    • Hold Breath (Toad only)
    • Swim Speed = Walk Speed
    • Base Speed = 8
    • Slam, 1d6 Dmg
    • Poisonous (Name Pending) (3 SP) The target of your Slam attack suffers an additional 1d6 damage and a -1 penalty to their Accuracy, Fighting, and Dexterity abilities for the remainder of the encounter, or until they receive healing or first aid.
    • Dex +2
    • Con +1

How does this look?

Any insight or feedback would be of help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 11-01-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Base Speed set to 8, Added Slam + Poisonous stunt

Re: One of my players would like to play a rhydan frog or toad. How would you do it?

You could have the frogs be venomous or poisonous somehow (or get people high)
    Is there not a type of toad that shoots blood out of it's eyes? great at parties.*

*if you don't want to be invited back**
    **Unless it is a goth party***
    ***ain't no party like a goth party, because the goth party don't stop till the Sisters of Mercy songs are done and we are asleep or dead by then.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle)
    Weirdo
    "That queer Goth chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Green Ronin Staff

Re: One of my players would like to play a rhydan frog or toad. How would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
    till the Sisters of Mercy songs are done
    Fake news. Everyone knows Sisters of Mercy songs never end. This Corrosion is still playing unto infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Carriker View Post
    Fake news. Everyone knows Sisters of Mercy songs never end. This Corrosion is still playing unto infinity.
    My kingdom for a like button.
    Weirdo

Protomolecule Host Sentinel Ark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
    You could have the frogs be venomous or poisonous somehow (or get people high)
    Is there not a type of toad that shoots blood out of it's eyes? great at parties.

...that would be great at parties.

A quick search reveals to me that it is the horned lizard that squirtsblood out of its eye. They are known as horny toads or horntoads for their toad-like bodies. So, I guess not unless I missed something ...but I'll keep that in my back pocket.

Inspired by a recent comic I read where a poison dart frog launched themself into another's eye in an assassin attempt, I figured a 1d6 Slam attack with the Venomous Bite stunt from the FAGE Companion could work. The stunt will have to be renamed to something else though.

I mean, yes, it would be good at parties Really for me part of it would be "what does the player want to do with this character?" The blood shooting or poison/drug effect could be cool for the right character, and silly or useless for the wrong one.

Okay, I misremembered about the toad, I apologize.
    Weirdo