Thread: Skill Mastery and routine checks

UN Basic Recipient

Skill Mastery and routine checks

Does anyone have any guidelines on when checks are routine, routine with Skill Mastery, and not routine? The book gives the example of a character making a routine check on Intimidation, which is interesting since it is both an opposed check and in a potential combat situation. The math for opposed checks works out that it's better to roll if your advantage over the opponent is less than 4, a wash at 4, and better to take 10 if higher than 4. Buying Skill Mastery rather than two more levels in the skill for opposed checks only pays off if you have an advantage of 8 or more. Having, say, Stealth 10 and Skill Mastery letting you automatically sneak past crowds of Perception 0 people would be nice, but maybe in that case it's already a routine check?

Re: Skill Mastery and routine checks

I suspect you're asking about this example. Honestly, yes, this is something to look a bit askance at. This is not a stress-free situation, so it probably out not to be routine, and The Rook does not have Skill Mastery.

I suspect that this just falls under GM Purview. The GM decided that a gang of kid minions should be routine to disperse. There is no evidence that there's combat going on, so there's a point in its favor.

As regards Skill Mastery, it simply allows you to make a Routine Check no matter what the circumstances.

IMHO there's one exception, though: Effects with the Check Required flaw. I'd say that you can never take 10 with this particular check, not even with Skill Mastery.
    As a side note, I think that Skill Mastery shouldn't enable the Quickness effect during stress situations.

Yep, I know that the rulebooks don't elaborate clearly on both issues, yet I think this interpretation is sensible.

UN Basic Recipient

Let me ask a more specific question. Is it worth taking Skill Mastery for Stealth if you have, say, a 10 Stealth, or will this not come up either because it's never a routine check or because you don't need the advantage to make it a routine check?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Let me ask a more specific question. Is it worth taking Skill Mastery for Stealth if you have, say, a 10 Stealth, or will this not come up either because it's never a routine check or because you don't need the advantage to make it a routine check?
    Most definitely. Stealth is typically an opposed check (vs perception) - by definition no routine check - so taking Skill Mastery makes perfect sense.