Thread: Energy Absorption, not by the book...

UN Basic Recipient

Energy Absorption, not by the book...

Say I want a character with the following;
    complete immunity to all energy effects [immunity 20]
    a dynamic array linked to the immunity - when the immunity prevents an energy effect from affecting him, he can;
    heal damage/conditions/fatigue (himself or his allies)
    blast damage (either an actual blast, possibly just a reflect/redirect)
    create a force shield to protect himself & allies
    some movement mode; superspeed, flight, teleport; I am undecided

How would I best build the dynamic array?

Would it be reasonable to have a regeneration in the array, which obviously only affects himself, and a healing which is limited to working on others? I like how they function differently - I think it should be different for him to recover his own damage, than it is to heal others. And which extras/flaws would best be used to represent that it only happens when an energy effect is blocked by his immunity, source/limited/???

And further, a separate but related question. Immunity to energy includes kinetic energy. I would not think that it should include physical things such as a baseball bat, a bullet, a punch, etc. But those are all forms of kinetic energy. What's the official stance on that?

Re: Energy Absorption, not by the book...

Quote Originally Posted by huuchuan1113 View Post
    Say I want a character with the following;
    complete immunity to all energy effects [immunity 20]
    a dynamic array linked to the immunity - when the immunity prevents an energy effect from affecting him, he can;
    heal damage/conditions/fatigue (himself or his allies)
    blast damage (either an actual blast, possibly just a reflect/redirect)
    create a force shield to protect himself & allies
    some movement mode; superspeed, flight, teleport; I am undecided

How would I best build the dynamic array?

Would it be reasonable to have a regeneration in the array, which obviously only affects himself, and a healing which is limited to working on others? I like how they function differently - I think it should be different for him to recover his own damage, than it is to heal others. And which extras/flaws would best be used to represent that it only happens when an energy effect is blocked by his immunity, source/limited/???

And further, a separate but related question. Immunity to energy includes kinetic energy. I would not think that it should include physical things such as a baseball bat, a bullet, a punch, etc. But those are all forms of kinetic energy. What's the official stance on that?
    Phew, where to begin?
    First, Immunity 20 (all energy effects) is not valid, since Immunity 80 (toughness; Limited to energy damage) costs already 40p (and this is just damage). "Energy" by M&M-terms is typical defined as "elemental"-force (heat, sound, electricity, cold, light etc), excluding any purely kinetic effect (punches, blades, bullets, falling, telekinetic force).
    Second, the Linked extra is unnecessary here.
    Third, curing your own fatigue is usally a big NO, since this would allow for unlimited Extra Effort (limiting it to just "normal" fatigue would be IMHO ok, though).
    Last not least, here are a few samples that might help you:
    Staying with the proposed heat-absorber as a basis, here are a few suggestions:

Heat-Healing
    Reaction Healing (Source [heat], Limited to absorbed heat rank, Self only) 2p/rank
    This costs the same as vanilla Healing, while it requires a sufficiently strong external heat source to work, it requires no effort on the hero's part (it functions automatically).

Heat-Power
    Enhanced Strength (Limited to absorbed heat rank, Fades) 1p/2ranks
    Being subjected to strong heat boosts your strength, but every turn you use that extra strength you'll lose 1 rank - until you recharge it by absorbing heat again.

Redirect Heat
    Ranged Damage (heat; Limited to absorbed heat rank, Fades) 1p/2ranks
    This effectively works the same as the "Heat-Power" example above, you can discharge the stored heat as targeted blasts, losing 1 rank after every shot (til you recharge).

Notes:
    - The reason for the latter 2 lacking a separate Source (heat) flaw is because they already have Fades - they both keep functioning for a time even when not subjected to heat anymore. Here "Source (heat)" is only a descriptor for the recharging condition of the Fades flaw (and it also tweaks the rules for Fades a little, meaning the power can be recharged at any time under the right conditions, even during combat. Therefore, no extra Source flaw.
    - "Limited to absorbed heat rank" means that the effective rank is capped by the equivalent ranks of the heat absorbed, while the theoretical maximum is the rank you paid for. So when you've got 10 ranks of "Heat-Power" and got hit by a military flamethrower (rank 6 heat damage), you'd get only 6 ranks of Enhanced Strength.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 10-25-2018 at 08:02 AM.