Thread: Creating a Speedster/Filling out the Sheet?

UN Basic Recipient

Question Creating a Speedster/Filling out the Sheet?

Hello there, everyone! In a post I made on reddit, I asked for inspiration for my Speedster character, and I got some. So, thanks to the amazing people on that Subreddit, I've got a ton of cool, interesting ideas, but now I've got to get down to the meat&potatoes, since I'm just starting out and know little about creating a fun and enjoyable character. So, I've got to make a character, now, and I'm wondering how to make one using one of the following ideas I was given. Here's a few I'd want to choose from:

An Elemental Speedster, focused on Friction/Heat. Basically, the Friction he generates from Super-Speed can create intense heat. Leaving a trail of flame, rubbing his hands together to superheat his punches, vibrating objects to melt, basically all kinds of friction based powers alongside Super-Speed

A Time-Manipulator, as this was suggested a few times. Instead of speeding up, all his abilities focus on slowing down others around him/stuff. I'd know the least how to pull this off well.

A more high-damage/warrior based Speedster, although my group already has one so I'd want to do something different likely. His source would be from the 'Others' that invaded the Earth before our campaign began (Lovecraftian beings that messed up Earth a bit). He could use Super-Speed endlessly, but starts to lose touch with reality the more he uses it, possibly driving him insane. Maybe he gains immunity to mental abilities while Running. Finally, he's also able to be in two places at once, with the Feedback flaw.

A Cold based Speedster, with the explanation being his abilities siphon the kinetic energy from his environment, 'slowing down' the water in the air and speeding up himself in the process. So his abilities would focus on still being a Speedster, but also working really well in frozen environments, while messing up others?

Finally, the least interesting, since the Flash already is lightning based, would be a Speedster that can run fast, turning into lightning, attacking by bursting right through enemies. He could also manipulate lightning, stun people, and manipulate electronics?

So, those are the ideas! They're basically listed in my interest of each, but now I need help creating a full character around them, mechanically. My team consists of a Warrior-Type character with a Magic Sword, a not-Punisher with insane Presence and the ability to speak with animals, and a Dr. Strange/Dr.Fate-like character with immortality. We also have a 5th player joining, and they'll probably fill the niche we have open. Our lore basically says some Lovecraftian beings (the 'Others') showed up from a portal over the Atlantic, and starting screwing up cities, and as such, multiple teams of supers went to stop them. When they were stopped, several teams disappeared and now crime is quadrupled. So, can anyone help me with all the mechanical stuff about creating the character, ie. Skills, Advantages, Abilities, and most importantly, Powers? Superhero name recommendations are also appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if you need, thanks for reading, and have a good one!

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Creating a Speedster/Filling out the Sheet?

[QUOTE=RookAL;270721]Hello there, everyone! In a post I made on reddit, I asked for inspiration for my Speedster character, and I got some. So, thanks to the amazing people on that Subreddit, I've got a ton of cool, interesting ideas, but now I've got to get down to the meat&potatoes, since I'm just starting out and know little about creating a fun and enjoyable character. So, I've got to make a character, now, and I'm wondering how to make one using one of the following ideas I was given. Here's a few I'd want to choose from:

An Elemental Speedster, focused on Friction/Heat. Basically, the Friction he generates from Super-Speed can create intense heat. Leaving a trail of flame, rubbing his hands together to superheat his punches, vibrating objects to melt, basically all kinds of friction based powers alongside Super-Speed]

This sounds like an array of damage effects, possibly plus transform.

[QUOTE=RookAL;270721]A Time-Manipulator, as this was suggested a few times. Instead of speeding up, all his abilities focus on slowing down others around him/stuff. I'd know the least how to pull this off well.]

This sounds more like flavor than mechanics.

[QUOTE=RookAL;270721]A more high-damage/warrior based Speedster, although my group already has one so I'd want to do something different likely. His source would be from the 'Others' that invaded the Earth before our campaign began (Lovecraftian beings that messed up Earth a bit). He could use Super-Speed endlessly, but starts to lose touch with reality the more he uses it, possibly driving him insane. Maybe he gains immunity to mental abilities while Running. Finally, he's also able to be in two places at once, with the Feedback flaw.]

The insanity part sounds like a complication. Being in two places at once would be Summon with the Controlled, Heroic, Mental Link and Feedback modifiers, costing 5, 9, 13, 15, 17, 21, 25, 29, 30, 33 points at PL's 1-10 (the duplicate doesn't have the Summon power). Your GM may veto this.

[QUOTE=RookAL;270721]A Cold based Speedster, with the explanation being his abilities siphon the kinetic energy from his environment, 'slowing down' the water in the air and speeding up himself in the process. So his abilities would focus on still being a Speedster, but also working really well in frozen environments, while messing up others?]

Messing up others would probably be Affliction and/or Weaken as part of an array. You could take Favored Environment, but adding powers with the limitation in frozen environments is not really cost effective.

[QUOTE=RookAL;270721]Finally, the least interesting, since the Flash already is lightning based, would be a Speedster that can run fast, turning into lightning, attacking by bursting right through enemies. He could also manipulate lightning, stun people, and manipulate electronics?]

Again, this would be an array of damage and possibly other powers.

Quote Originally Posted by RookAL View Post
    So, those are the ideas! They're basically listed in my interest of each, but now I need help creating a full character around them, mechanically. My team consists of a Warrior-Type character with a Magic Sword, a not-Punisher with insane Presence and the ability to speak with animals, and a Dr. Strange/Dr.Fate-like character with immortality. We also have a 5th player joining, and they'll probably fill the niche we have open. Our lore basically says some Lovecraftian beings (the 'Others') showed up from a portal over the Atlantic, and starting screwing up cities, and as such, multiple teams of supers went to stop them. When they were stopped, several teams disappeared and now crime is quadrupled. So, can anyone help me with all the mechanical stuff about creating the character, ie. Skills, Advantages, Abilities, and most importantly, Powers? Superhero name recommendations are also appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if you need, thanks for reading, and have a good one!
    You obviously need Speed and probably want Quickness, Move by Action, and perhaps Movement options. Athletics 5 plus Skill Mastery gives you another +1 to Speed as well as being generally useful. Acrobatics 5 plus skill mastery lets you automatically do basic acrobatic maneuvers. It's always useful to max offense and defense. Beyond that, it depends on filling in more details of what you want to do.

Protomolecule Host

A Time-Manipulator, as this was suggested a few times. Instead of speeding up, all his abilities focus on slowing down others around him/stuff. I'd know the least how to pull this off well.
    Time Control is Super Speed, Subtle 2.

Power Profile has a lot of alternate abilities, such as Temporal Ambush (freeze time, set up a trap, unfreeze time, enemy gets hit by the trap, possibly by surprise to make them Vulnerable), utility abilities (moving stuff around while they're frozen, moving yourself around while they're frozen, etc).

IMO, the most complicated thing would be dealing with other speedsters. You slow time and they speed themselves up, so you could interact with a speedster of the same rank as if neither of you were speedsters... but I don't know how to write this power.

UN Basic Recipient

A Cold based Speedster, with the explanation being his abilities siphon the kinetic energy from his environment, 'slowing down' the water in the air and speeding up himself in the process. So his abilities would focus on still being a Speedster, but also working really well in frozen environments, while messing up others?
    I wrote an odd sort of speedster a while back that might maybe give you some mechanical ideas for that last little bit there. The Hummingbird Thief, I called him, and you can find him on my blog. He's focused around Nahua/Aztec ideas ~ and the cultural appropriation of such ~ rather than cold, but he also has a "stealing speed from others" kinda thing going on. Might help you develop a cold-based speedster, which I'd love to see the stats for, btw

With those three teammates, i wonder if basing a speedster on the Norse mythological creature of Ratatoskr, the giant squirrel who runs up and down Yggsdrasil carrying all the gossi--news of the Nine Worlds, might not be kinda cute? Yggsdrasil is HUGE, like, larger than the known universe, so speed is highly appropriate. I also feel like you could vibe with the magic sword, animal speech, and spellcasting elements of the rest of the team, and kinda help the team hold together thematically?
    either e/em/eir pronouns or fey/fem/fear pronouns
    {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!
    "So I donít even want to hear about reality. I donít want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

Finally, the least interesting, since the Flash already is lightning based, would be a Speedster that can run fast, turning into lightning, attacking by bursting right through enemies. He could also manipulate lightning, stun people, and manipulate electronics?
    Maybe it's just me, but that's IMHO the MOST interesting variant, because of the "turning into lightning" aspect. I'd do that by giving him Insubstantial 3 (electricity) combined with some other fitting traits as an Alternate Form.
    Then I'd give him a Teleport effect with a Medium flaw (power lines) as an AE of his superspeed - enabling him to vanish into a plug socket & emerge out of another. Another possible AE to Speed: Flight (Limited to straight lines).
    His other powers (Damage, Affliction etc) I'd put into another array. These should be all close-ranged (= saving points), as true speedsters rarely need ranged attacks (also makes sense thematically: He doesn't shoot lightning because he IS lightning).

I've made a build of one, find it HERE. Perhaps you might draw some ideas from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757
    IMO, the most complicated thing would be dealing with other speedsters. You slow time and they speed themselves up, so you could interact with a speedster of the same rank as if neither of you were speedsters... but I don't know how to write this power.
    No need for overcomplicating such a thing. I'd simply hand-wave this as a GM, for example just declaring "Your Quicker-than-the Eye-power (visual Concealment Limited to while moving) doesn't work against the other speedster..."

UN Basic Recipient

A more high-damage/warrior based Speedster, although my group already has one so I'd want to do something different likely. His source would be from the 'Others' that invaded the Earth before our campaign began (Lovecraftian beings that messed up Earth a bit). He could use Super-Speed endlessly, but starts to lose touch with reality the more he uses it, possibly driving him insane. Maybe he gains immunity to mental abilities while Running. Finally, he's also able to be in two places at once, with the Feedback flaw.

-

-

Our lore basically says some Lovecraftian beings (the 'Others') showed up from a portal over the Atlantic, and starting screwing up cities, and as such, multiple teams of supers went to stop them. When they were stopped, several teams disappeared and now crime is quadrupled. So, can anyone help me with all the mechanical stuff about creating the character, ie. Skills, Advantages, Abilities, and most importantly, Powers? Superhero name recommendations are also appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if you need, thanks for reading, and have a good one!
    When i was reading this points of your thread i thinked in a cool concept mesh of those ideias, a type of Mad-Speedester/unwilling-avatar of one of this outsiders, in that case i would start with a Uncontrolled Summon power triggered by your speed, so the fastest your character run the more chance of him "tearing" your reality and letting minor outsiders in your world, i think would be fun to roleplay a character who don't know if he is going insane because of his powers or his powers are making the world insane.

Of course something like that need to be discussed with your group first, but anyway as a rule of tumb i recommend to choose powers that are relevant with the setting and what is going on in it, so Eldritch Outsiders attack the world? Eldritch Speedester sounds like a fit to me xD