Thread: What analogues/iconic characters are missing in the Freedomverse?

OPA Belta

What analogues/iconic characters are missing in the Freedomverse?

Hey, a thought that occurred while reading Gail Simone's Plastic Man revival, when I realized there was no M&M equivalent hero-what other iconic character "types" are not currently found in the Freedomverse/Earth-Prime setting? I mean, obviously the universe includes many expies (Raven as a parallel to Batman's 'dark knight detective", though she's a legacy as well, the Atom Family have a similar feel to the Fantastic Four), straight up ersatzes (Gigantosaur IS pretty much Godzilla), or composite characters (Lady Liberty serves in the Wonder Woman slot, but has Uncle Sam's origin as the incarnation of freedom). But there's no real comedic, irreverent hero in the style of Plas or Beast Boy; there really isn't a Hulk-type (though Earth-Prime is more heavily influenced by DC than Marvel), or a Black Widow. Obviously also no Logan/Wolverine, but again that's likely more a conscious choice on the part of GR to distinguish the heroism of the setting.

Any others, heroes or villains?

All my best.

OPA Belta

Re: What analogues/iconic characters are missing in the Freedomverse?

I would imagine that some of those iconic roles have purposely left open for the player heroes to fill.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

The Black Widow type is in Iron Age as Kismet, who also has elements of Domino. Similarly that book also has the local Wolverine type in the form of El Gato. Both are part of FORCE Ops.

Similarly Tom Cypress seems to combine in elements of the Hulk and Solomon Grundy.
    Formerly Narsil.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    Similarly Tom Cypress seems to combine in elements of the Hulk and Solomon Grundy.
    Interestingly, this was an actual character in the Amalgam Comics pseudo-imprint back in the day when DC and Marvel bashed their universes together. Hulk/Grundy was called the Skulk, and his ability to turn back into Bruce Banner was a spell cast each time on him by Dr. Strangefate (Doctors Strange and Fate, and Prof. X all rolled into one), which allowed the Doctor to use the Skulk as an unwilling agent. Man, I loved the Amalgam Comics ~ I hear Marvel is doing something similar in-universe right now with the Infinity Warps. I should look into that.

More on point, tho ~ I'm not super up on my Earth-Prime knowledge, so I'll ask rather than assert. Are there analogues to Deadman, the Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, John Constantine, the Endless, the Doom Patrol, V, or that character from Runaways that's a nebula? In my little bit of skimming since 1st edition, I've not picked up on their existence, but I might just have missed them... Ooh, what about the silly characters that could have surprising moments of depth, like Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck? Deadpool might also count there.

My idea of "iconic" might not be the same as everyone else's >.<
    either e/em/eir pronouns or fey/fem/fear pronouns
    {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!
    "So I donít even want to hear about reality. I donít want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    The Black Widow type is in Iron Age as Kismet, who also has elements of Domino. Similarly that book also has the local Wolverine type in the form of El Gato. Both are part of FORCE Ops.

Ah, my thanks for jogging my memory about the Iron Age book from 2nd edition; I remember thinking at the time about Kismet's superficial similarities to Domino, though I didn't catch the Black Widow elements of the characters. And yes El Gato is a sort-of-Wolverine knockoff, similar to all the feral heroes and villains of the 1990s which Marvel and Image Comics churned out

I keep thinking the take on Tom Cypress in the new Freedom City book almost hints at him taking a more heroic role, more like the portrayal in Justice League Unlimited. The original was pretty much a Solomon Grundy ersatz, though less clear about his origins, even hinting he was the union of a woman and a Foulke Monster!

Curiously, I thought of Megalodon as a mash-up of both DC's Man-Bat and Marvel's Lizard, but then we also got Goanna, who seems a lot like the modern take on The Lizard (retains his intellect, cruel and cunning). Then again, there is both Lady Freedom and the evil Madrigal Martinet as Wonder Woman stand-ins.

All my best.

John Constantine definitely has an analog in the Freedomverse, Thomas Rhymer.

As for a comedic irreverent type, Whoop-Ant comes to mind.

2E had a lot of characters that filled all kinds of roles, but many of them seem to have been forgotten about in 3E.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!