Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: house rules for array point cost

UN Basic Recipient

house rules for array point cost

Many people think arrays are strong (whether too strong depends on you)

What would anyone think of the following house rule:

Each additional alternate effect in your array costs one extra pp than the last one.

Examples:
    Strong array: Two powers with base cost 20 pp [ 21 PP ]

Normal rules, Strong Array would also cost 21 PP

Crazy Magic Array: 6 powers, base power cost of 16 pp [ 31 PP ]

Normal rules, Crazy Magic Array would cost 21 PP only.

OPA Belta

Re: house rules for array point cost

No need. People who take many powers in an array are already nerfing themselves; it's much more efficient to just take the most-used powers and just use Extra Effort for the rarely-used ones. Generally, if I create a PC with many array powers it's because I have a strong concept in mind and I'm sacrificing PP for the sake of the concept. I know it's way smarter to choose only a few powers though.

UN Basic Recipient

Adding multiple attack types to an array doesn't seem like it would be worth the cost you propose since you can only use one at a time anyway. The bigger issue with arrays is if people start adding other actions like Teleport, since that starts giving you huge out of combat powers. GM discretion seems like the best way to limit this. Also remember that you can't sustain things while using an alternate effect, which is a problem if you have alternate effects to flying, for example.

Just make a hard fast rule of "You can only change an array once per round" and don't allow any exceptions to this rule. Period. Ever.

No Extra Effort, no HP.

It does keep them in check quite a bit.

Edit: Also, no permanent powers, and Continuous powers switch off when you change the array.

Quote Originally Posted by kenseido View Post
    Just make a hard fast rule of "You can only change an array once per round" and don't allow any exceptions to this rule. Period. Ever.

No Extra Effort, no HP.

It does keep them in check quite a bit.

Edit: Also, no permanent powers, and Continuous powers switch off when you change the array.
    You do realize that all of that is just RAW for arrays, right? All you are saying is enforce the rules.

I probably would allow the extra change in a round for a HP or extra effort personally, but even that is technically outside of RAW.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

Yes, but I have seen people try to make these slide. There are a lot of things that if you play RAW aren't really that bad, but a lot of people don't. Especially some of the rules that changed from 2e to 3e.

Just saying the like a lot of other things that can be abused when GMs start letting rules slide, the easy answer is just enforce the rules. Even rules lawyer players can't even argue with that.

I'll admit that I have to double check rules all the time on certain issues, especially bouncing between 2E and 3E games at times or just being used to certain house rules and then playing with a GM that doesn't use those.
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    My character library

Quote Originally Posted by digitalangel View Post
    Even rules lawyer players can't even argue with that.
    I'll have to introduce you to few.

I'll admit that I have to double check rules all the time on certain issues, especially bouncing between 2E and 3E games at times or just being used to certain house rules and then playing with a GM that doesn't use those.
    I am a big believer that house rules need to be documented somewhere so people can see them and refer to them, same as a rulebook. I had so many house rules for 2e, I think it scared off potential players. When I moved to 3e, I just accepted the rules were less crunchy and more for ease of play. I ended up with 2 House Rules, one around Grappling and one on the cost of Regen. Once it was shown to me that grappling was based on Affliction, I reverted to RAW since, while it didn't fit real world grappling, it was consistent. I still double the cost of Regen.

Quote Originally Posted by kenseido View Post
    I'll have to introduce you to few.
    Trust me, I have 3 engineering degrees and most of my gaming group in college were all other applied science/engineering students. I have heard rules lawyering that you wouldn't believe. Usually more about how the rule should work based on real world science instead of about what it actually says on paper, but yeah ... The most exaggerated example that jumps to mind was actually calculating the blast radius for something that was a campaign (world) ending action in a Rifts game once. Assuming a planetary alignment at the time, Jupiter would have been hit by it.

I am a big believer that house rules need to be documented somewhere so people can see them and refer to them, same as a rulebook. I had so many house rules for 2e, I think it scared off potential players. When I moved to 3e, I just accepted the rules were less crunchy and more for ease of play. I ended up with 2 House Rules, one around Grappling and one on the cost of Regen. Once it was shown to me that grappling was based on Affliction, I reverted to RAW since, while it didn't fit real world grappling, it was consistent. I still double the cost of Regen.
    I always note house rules on paper for that very reason. The only thing I tend to house rule into my 3E games on a regular basis is just reverting to 2E skills. Other than that my house rules tend to be on a campaign by campaign basis as added flavoring to the world if I want the game world to have a certain feel to it.
    My character library

I always note house rules on paper for that very reason. The only thing I tend to house rule into my 3E games on a regular basis is just reverting to 2E skills. Other than that my house rules tend to be on a campaign by campaign basis as added flavoring to the world if I want the game world to have a certain feel to it.
    I presume you have an exception for combat skills.