Thread: Drunken Courage

UN Basic Recipient

Drunken Courage

Late this past summer, I started a Google Doc trying to figure out how to make the idea of "drunken courage" work in different settings. The overall idea being that alcohol gives courage and even enhanced results initially, but either has a greater chance of failure or leads to consequences down the line. I've been struggling with how to make this work best in Dragon Age. Right now I'm playing with stunts. The full doc is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Here is the Dragon Age part:

Dragon AGE
    Drunken Courage
    When a character has been drinking alcohol with the intent of fortifying themselves, they may use the following stunts.
    # SP Title Stunt
    2 Forgot My Own Strength Roll Constitution (Drinking) against TN 13. On a success, add the value of the Dragon Die to your damage roll. On a failure, add half the value of your Dragon Die (rounded down) and your character falls prone after making the attack.
    3 Charge! Roll Constitution (Drinking) against TN 13. On a success, after completing your current action, move your full movement directly toward the greatest danger on the field. On a failure, move as on a success, but your recklessness prevents you from using any focuses on your next action.

This is not important in the slightest! It is just a fun challenge. Dragon AGE currently has me stumped though, because I'm not 100% happy with my current solution. So I was wondering how others might approach it.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Drunken Courage

5 Better When I'm Drunk Roll +1d6 the next time you attempt a test. This bonus dice can be used to generate stunt points. If you should still fail however, you lose your next major action due to inebriation.

UN Basic Recipient

Oh, I like that.And it gets rid of the somewhat clunky rolling to use a stunt.

The stunt system is quite a fun way of dealing with the complications of inebriation, though I think if I were trying to simulate it, I'd just play around with stat modifiers. I'd probably give -1 to any test to do with DEX, PER, INT or a to-hit test in combat. However, I'd add +2 to WIL tests to morale and courage, as well as anything to resist the effects of pain.

Stunts are more fun, though