Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Riverlands House

UN Basic Recipient

Creating a Riverlands House

I was wondering why the riverlands could not have coast since the whole west side is on the coast?
    Is there a story-line/terrain reason or is this a error in the book?

Protomolecule Host

Re: Creating a Riverlands House

I don't think that there is an ingame explanation therefore - especially no one which makes sense. Given the vast distances and territories each of the Seven Kindoms encompass (and the very diversive terrain of these lands) I think you can assume that ALMOST every type of terrain can occure. I think a look at the map and common sense of the players/GM do better in this case than to cling to the Core rule book which (while it lays the basic for a beautiful game) has certainly some flaws, failures and gaps...
    Last edited by Paedrig; 10-17-2018 at 10:34 AM.

OPA Belta

I agree with Paedrig. Personally, I allow most type of terrain in every regions, unless it doesn't make sense at all. I just check the maps with the players and see where the house could be located.

Definitely a system with holes. It's been a while since I looked, but if I recall correctly there's no correlation between Islands and Coast. I can't imagine how an island based house wouldn't have coastline, but I think it's theoretically possible under the rules... Still, one of my favorite systems around to this day.

Protomolecule Host

It can happen, if the island is big enough. Remember, a domain is relatively small (originally only 3x3 miles) ang given the giant scale of Westeros i can imagine that f. e. on some of the biger Isles of the Iron men there is place for (small) inland houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Paedrig View Post
    It can happen, if the island is big enough. Remember, a domain is relatively small (originally only 3x3 miles) ang given the giant scale of Westeros i can imagine that f. e. on some of the biger Isles of the Iron men there is place for (small) inland houses.
    Right, but in that case why should the players purchase the island feature at all?

OPA Belta

The only thing I can think of is a small island on a lake where a fortification or village/town is built... but then you'd have to purchase Lake too, I guess...

OPA Belta

I am not sure if a house of for example the Iron Isles did not MUST take the isle-domain-feature. Even if they buy no shore, they benefit from their isle-position. Any enemy house which want to strike them has to come by ship, which limi the possibilities (they may even got a warning from their coastal neighbours). But that is all of course theortical, I do not know if it works so.

OPA Belta

As I see it being on the coast or an island is a dubble edged sword. Sure the enemy can only come by ship, but when looking at the Vikings and the earlier Sea Peoples, it seems to me that ships are faster than horses, so being vulnerable to a surprise attack by ships from the sea is also a risk you get.

OPA Belta

That is of course true and even more for the people outside the Iron Isles. The Ironmen were much more raiders than they were raided themself (although that also happened on some occasions).