Thread: Move Object and tossing things

Move Object and tossing things

Move Object is one of those Effects that seems simple, and yet I always have trouble wrapping my head around it.
    Let's say Wonder Woman lassos a tank and sends it flying into another tank.

Is it a ranged attack for the initial Grab effect?
    Is there a Strength to Strength comparison as per the Grab rules?
    Once something is grabbed with Move Object are you just free to toss it wherever, with the same rules as tossing with strength?

OPA Belta

Re: Move Object and tossing things

Yes

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by grimmshade View Post
    Move Object is one of those Effects that seems simple, and yet I always have trouble wrapping my head around it.
    Let's say Wonder Woman lassos a tank and sends it flying into another tank.

Is it a ranged attack for the initial Grab effect?

Unless you took Perception Range, yes you must make a ranged attack.

Is there a Strength to Strength comparison as per the Grab rules?
    Yes. If you're moving a stationary object, then I presume it's simply your Move Object rank vs the Mass of the object. You wouldn't need to roll; either you are strong enough to lift the object, or you are not. (Note that you can raise the rank by +1 with a move action, just like raising your Strength temporarily. I guess that's how Luke lifted that X-Wing the first time. Perhaps you can do more with a hero point?)

Once something is grabbed with Move Object are you just free to toss it wherever, with the same rules as tossing with strength?
    Yes. Note that that takes an extra action. If this is part of an array, I would add Enhanced Advantages: Improved Grab, Quick Grab to the power. This way you don't become vulnerable and don't have to use two actions to pick up and then throw an object.

Cool, that's all basically as I thought.
    Good point with the Advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    If this is part of an array, I would add Enhanced Advantages: Improved Grab, Quick Grab to the power. This way you don't become vulnerable and don't have to use two actions to pick up and then throw an object.
    Umm, you don't become vulnerable & hindered when grabbing something with Move Object, since this effect isn't reactive towards your own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Umm, you don't become vulnerable & hindered when grabbing something with Move Object, since this effect isn't reactive towards your own body.
    While I agree in principle, the rules don't actually indicate that. If you want, you can flavor it as that, rather than being Vulnerable and Hindered because you're mid-grapple, instead it's because you need to focus on holding your hand in the perfect Vader position.

Related to that, technically speaking, you can't just move someone arbitrarily. You can throw them (relinquishing the Grab) or you can move and they move with you as per Grab.

Of course, a GM can handle the power however they like. Personally, I think that someone with Move Object should be able to move people without moving (as long as they win the opposed check), but there probably ought to be limits to prevent them from grabbing their friend and saying "OK, I use my Perception range Move Object to move Buddy from here to that point I can see 50 miles away this round."

I was always under the impression you could move things that way. There would be travel time of some sort involved with something like the perception range example, but I'd definitely allow someone to lift their buddy up to the top of a building.

OPA Belta

People are objects, so you can definitely move them with Move Object. You can even move yourself that way, though it's much more efficient to use Flight as an alternate effect.