Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Shaping and Fure Shaping: A discussion

Green Ronin Staff

Re: Cold Shaping and Fure Shaping: A discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
    Oh? I thought if an arcanum is fatiguing at the test TN, then I use the base TN required to cast the arcanum, regardless of outcome, as opposed to test result where the fatigue TN includes outcome.
    Yeah, played in that fashion, fatigue tends to become something of a paper tiger, as my home group discovered as well. But if you're pushing the limits of the power to do things that are larger in scope and scale, it only makes sense that the fatigue would be similarly expansive.

Green Ronin Staff

Also, I'd encourage folks to look at the new Arcana Knacks we did for Aldis: City of the Blue Rose. Not only are there some useful tricks there, but they provide inspiration for new "tricks" with existing arcana.

Protomolecule Host Sentinel Ark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carriker View Post
    Yeah, played in that fashion, fatigue tends to become something of a paper tiger, as my home group discovered as well. But if you're pushing the limits of the power to do things that are larger in scope and scale, it only makes sense that the fatigue would be similarly expansive.
    I have noticed that in my games too, where my Adepts aren't getting fatigued as easily. However, I've noticed that once my players get 1 fatigue that they can easily snowball into 2 or 3. So, they've been playing very cautiously and utilizing arcana where needed.

Thinking it over, I may leave how I've been using test TN/result for now because I had some interesting plans for arcane items / artifacts based on what I've read in the City of Aldis book...

Quote Originally Posted by Carriker View Post
    Also, I'd encourage folks to look at the new Arcana Knacks we did for Aldis: City of the Blue Rose. Not only are there some useful tricks there, but they provide inspiration for new "tricks" with existing arcana.
    Speaking of, that book inspired the next wave of item rewards I had for my players for the end of Arc 2. Based on what I've read so far, it seems fairly common to have stones which grant a specific arcanum. I took that idea and ran with it - creating Arcana Knacks through FAGE Arcana with parts of the Companion (attunement, tiered artifacts, etc.) and some of the feats in the BR True20 books (Empower, Quicken, Subtle, and Widen Arcana), then tiering the feats into 3's.

I end up with something like this:

Stone of Flame +3

Arcane Power. You gain the Fire Shaping arcanum. If you are already trained in this arcanum, then you gain the Flaming Shield arcana knack.

Quicken Arcana II. You can use the Fire Shaping more swiftly, reducing the cast time from a Major action to a Minor action, but you also increase the fatigue TN by +4.
    Stone of Healing +3

Arcane Power. You gain the Cure arcanum. If you are already trained in this arcanum, then you can use the Cure arcanum at a range, but the arcane and fatigue test TN is increased by +1 for every 2 yards beyond melee.

Empower Arcana II. When you cast the Cure arcanum, you can increase the arcane test result by +1 (even after knowing your test result), but you also increase the fatigue TN by +2. You cannot empower the Cure arcanum more than twice at a time.

We have been using Fatigue as Joe outlined and it has given it more teeth but it also rains in Adepts a bit which I think is good.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle)
    Weirdo
    "That queer Goth chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"