Thread: Fear and Insanity

UN Basic Recipient

Fear and Insanity

I was wondering if anyone has come up with house rules for fear and insanity for horror themed games.

OPA Belta

Re: Fear and Insanity

I'm running a MAGE horror game this month in honor of Halloween. For fear, I assign monsters a Fear Rating, which serves as a TN for making Courage checks. Failure means the character is Shaken, which imposes a -2 to actions for the session. Failure by 5 means that the character is Scared as well as Shaken and must flee the area for Stunt Die rounds. I'm also playing with the following Stunts:

Fear Check Stunts
    1 Bolster Courage: The character gains a +2 to the next Fear Check they must make during this session.
    2 Steady: You are no longer Shaken.
    2 Focused: You gain a +1 to your next action against the target of fear.
    2+ Infectious Bravery: You inspire others with your bravery. You may grant a number of allies near you a +2 against the next Fear Check they make during this session. You initially help one, but may spend 1 SP/extra ally up to 5 SP.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
    Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.

UN Basic Recipient

This look great sketchpad, have you had a chance to test it yet?

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by nerdron View Post
    This look great sketchpad, have you had a chance to test it yet?
    Thanks, nerdron! Tested it a bit last week and it worked out pretty well. Next session is in two weeks. I'll try and report back more after that.

OPA Belta

So we played again near the end of October (and finally have a chance to revise a few things). The rules I worked up seemed to work pretty well. The players enjoyed the sessions we played, which was a "Hunters vs. Psycho-Killer" scenario. We used the Gritty rules to keep it a bit more lethal, and used fairly standard weapons. The only change I made was re-naming "Scared" to "Frightened".

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchpad View Post
    So we played again near the end of October (and finally have a chance to revise a few things). The rules I worked up seemed to work pretty well. The players enjoyed the sessions we played, which was a "Hunters vs. Psycho-Killer" scenario. We used the Gritty rules to keep it a bit more lethal, and used fairly standard weapons. The only change I made was re-naming "Scared" to "Frightened".
    We played our first session of cyberpunk Cthulhu last week, they didn't run into anything truly frightening yet, but I will try this for the next session. Thanks for reporting back!