Thread: Acute Hearing?

Protomolecule Host

Acute Hearing?

In the DC Heroes & Villains Superman write up, they give him Acute Hearing, but my understanding of "acute" is that hearing, by default, is acute so why does Superman, Superboy, Supergirl, Superwoman (etc) have it?

Re: Acute Hearing?

I would probably upgrade it to Analytical. That means you can do things like Superman's lie detection.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I would probably upgrade it to Analytical. That means you can do things like Superman's lie detection.
    I just looked that up! So by listening to a person's heart beat I can tell if they are lying? That's pretty cool.

Couldn't that be better done as an Immunity 1 (Deception/Lies)?

How would I focus through the clutter of sounds on one person's voice/heartbeat/whathaveyou?

My ruling on Analytical is that it lets you use that sense as if you had lab equipment. You still need to make a requisite Skill check as if you had that equipment (GM preview).

When dealing with sorting out a wide variety of sensory inputs, I use the Investigate rules for searching a large area, modified by how much the ambient noise night make it harder by having it all happen at once. Speeding the search is done by taking penalties and/or Quickness/Rapid.