Thread: Antivan Fire Grenade

Antivan Fire Grenade

After my question regarding the upgrading of grenades was discussed in a recent Wonders of Thedas podcast, I thought I'd do a bit of inventing and have come up with this proposal for an Antivan Fire grenade, available at Master poison making level. I've added in a couple of options in keeping with the upgrades in the computer game (much like the trap-making talent allows), to allow players to personalise their recipes. Perhaps Kot and the gang can discuss the grenade on their next podcast! I'd certainly be happy for them to add it to the resources on their website. In the meantime, I thought I'd submit it to the GR forum for discussion.

Whilst it's called Antivan Fire, it could just as easily fit the Fell Grenade description from DA 2. I note that the game currently lacks any official Master level grenades:

Antivan Fire, Master level grenade, Damage 5d6, Ignites flammables, costs 2 gp / 10 gp.

One (not both) of the following two options can be taken, though each reduces the base damage of the grenade by 2d6:

Increased duration - anyone caught in the original blast area takes another 3d6 damage at the beginning of their next turn, after which the flames then die out.

Shockwave - anyone caught in the blast area can only take one action on their next turn; if they make a successful Constitution (Stamina) test with a TN of 15, they may take a major action, otherwise only a minor.

What do people think?

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Antivan Fire Grenade

Honestly I like it. Simple and straight forward but allows for some variety and easily applied to other types of grenades. One of my players is enjoying poison lore and grenades and I think hed really like this when he gets to Master. It could be a little over powered if a player invests in the talent and gets to master in earlier levels but I dont see that coming up too often. Plus as the GM you can control when this is introduced if it would be a problem.

Have you had the opportunity to test this out in game play? Again, it seems straight forward just curious if you had chance and what your thoughts would be.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Proton Crosser View Post
    Have you had the opportunity to test this out in game play? Again, it seems straight forward just curious if you had chance and what your thoughts would be.
    No, I haven't used it yet - but I intend to! The PC with the Poison making talent is still level 6, so can only access Master when they reach level 7. The fact that one has to get to a decent level makes me think that the extra damage or effects will not be game-breaking.

OPA Belta

Master level has instant death poison, so I don't think this is too OP, especially with the hefty material cost.