Thread: Dynamic effects and "Dialing back" effects

UN Basic Recipient

Dynamic effects and "Dialing back" effects

I'm looking to create a DBZ-style martial artist that can shoot ki blasts. So I'm looking at giving him the following:

Ki Blast: Ranged Damage 10, Burst area 7 (2 miles) (90)

If I wanted to use a version of this power that had a smaller burst radius but more damage, or a larger burst radius but less damage, or both a smaller radius and damage, would I have to spend 1 point to get an "alternate effect" for every possible variation of this attack I could think of? If I take the "Dynamic Effect" modifier for 1 point, would this allow me to do the above since I could decide how many power points to put into the effect any given turn?

UN Basic Recipient

Re: Dynamic effects and "Dialing back" effects

If you're playing PL10, area damage can't go above 10. What you're suggesting would be legal on the basis that you can take some minimum power linked to dynamically variant enhanced traits for the power, one enhancing area and one damage. The radius is 1/2 mile btw. You might want to consider adding selective if you really want this big a radius.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by riocante View Post
    If I take the "Dynamic Effect" modifier for 1 point, would this allow me to do the above since I could decide how many power points to put into the effect any given turn?
    That's not what Dynamic Effect does. Dynamic Effect is used in Arrays so that you can use multiple powers in the array at the same time by dynamically assigning the power points in the array.

For a single normal power, you can always lower the effect of the power. Just declare you are only using the power at Damage 5 instead of Damage 10 when you declare your attack. This doesn't allow you to reduce the 7 ranks of Area (Burst). That would require a separate power (which could be an alternate effect or array based on the original power).

Quote Originally Posted by riocante View Post
    would I have to spend 1 point to get an "alternate effect" for every possible variation of this attack I could think of?
    First of all, this is exactly why Power Stunts exist: so a PC can take one of their existing powers and use it differently as a one-off. If a particular power stunt is useful enough that the PC is going to use it often, like more than once in most combat situations, then it's a good candidate for an Alternate Effect.

Unfortunately, players fall into the trap of doing the reverse and trying to think up scenarios before they occur, which can lead to making these huge arrays of powers that are largely the same and that in practice most of them won't see much use.

I generally recommend sets of Alternate Effects (generally referred to as "Arrays" from the 2e Ultimate Power expansion for simplicity) to have between 2-4 slots, with a hard limit at 5 without some kind of compelling reasons to do otherwise. For something like a Damaging Blast Array, you'll commonly have the basic Blast, an Area Attack, a Multiattack, and maybe 1 or 2 other variants that aren't even Damage-based, like a Stun or Dazzle or Knockback. Anything beyond that can be handled by Power Stunts.

Now I know some players can feel uneasy even Power Stunting once due to the Fatigue condition, but in practice it's not a big deal. First rank of Fatigue is Hindered, dropping your movement speed by 1 rank, which if you have any kind of movement powers is not going to be an issue in most cases, especially in relative close combat, and even then you can often compensate with a DC15 Athletics check. Also, you can use a Recover Action once per conflict to remove Fatigue, or in a pinch, even use a precious Hero Point.

In short, figure out your most expensive version of your commonly-used attack, make no more than 4 variations and just play it. If you honestly can't keep it down to 5 total, just think which should come up most often and make notes for the rest to power stunt so you can do it quickly at the table.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!