Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to build magic items: Flying Shield and Bag of Holding

UN Basic Recipient

Re: How to build magic items: Flying Shield and Bag of Holding

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    Defending others is pretty much textbook Deflect.
    I looked hard at deflect, but I was kinda looking for something that would bend, if not break the game's action economy, allowing the player to continue to fight, but giving up a significant portion of his personal protection to make the shield fly off and actively protect someone he designated. I suppose I could buy deflect up to a free action if I wanted.

I wonder if I made the AE a sidekick, how that would work.
    Last edited by tallyrand; 10-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.

OPA Belta

Controlled construct with appropriate flaws.

The problem with making "one-job minions" is that essentially a baseline minion is a humanoidish creature with all of their Abilities at 0 rank and susceptible to all the things a standard character with no particular traits can be hurt by. For something like a magic shield, presumably it can't be poisoned or suffocated or starved, etc because it's not organic and it can't be intimidated or mind controlled and it's possibly even indestructible. All that on a character potentially costs 140p in Immunities and it can't even fly yet. You can minimize, compromise and Absent a few Abilities to compensate, but ultimately you will be spending the majority of your minion's point budget on making it fit your concept and I feel this is an extreme waste of time and effort.

I would recommend something simpler. The Affects Others Only Extra does almost exactly what you describe, giving the use of a power to someone else. It does require a Standard Action and a touch to give it to a target, but it stays with them with only Free Action maintenance.

So I would recommend making an Array with the Personal Shield in one slot with whatever traits it may have (standard large shield is Dodge/Parry +3, but it's magic so you can have it do more if you like) and then have an second slot with the same power with Affects Others Only (+0 Extra) and Ranged (+1 Extra). You can now give that shield's powers to anyone in range with a Standard Action.

The second slot is going to be bigger, which isn't necessarily a problem if you treat that as the main power and the personal shield as an AE. Alternatively, you can make the "shared shield" slightly less effective for other people to balance the points out a bit.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

OPA Belta

She could look at animated objects.