Thread: Insubstantial attack

Insubstantial attack

One of my players was his PC to be capable of phasing, and as an AE be able to phase someone else out of combat.
    Would this be best designed as a simple Affliction, or as insubstantial with the attack modifier?

Protomolecule Host

Re: Insubstantial attack

Quote Originally Posted by grimmshade View Post
    One of my players was his PC to be capable of phasing, and as an AE be able to phase someone else out of combat.
    Would this be best designed as a simple Affliction, or as insubstantial with the attack modifier?
    There's no Affliction that could give you "unable to interact" so it would be the latter. Presumably the PC will have to take Insubstantial X, Limited to Resistance (because otherwise it's a PL4 attack).

Is it possible for the PC to make themselves and the NPC (or other PC) insubstantial simultaneously?

Third degree afflictions are generally encounter-enders, so it seems a reasonable result to me, with earlier degrees maybe involving partially phased enemies who are slower (can't get traction on the ground and thus Hindered), less able (Impaired since their hands keep passing through things), or the like. This is, of course, subject to GM approval.

I was leaning towards an Affliction as well. "Incapacitated" could just as easily mean "removed from combat due to being insubstantial."
    The only problem with Affliction I can see is when the PC wants to make a non-enemy Insubstantial how whatever reason. This would be a stunt though, and could then be the Insubstantial Effect.

Making your friends Insubstantial could be Affects Others.

And I'm pretty sure 3E still lets you do the 'voluntary fail' thing so his team mates can just fail the save and be turned Insubstantial.

As an Affliction, you probably want Transformed as a 3rd degree effect. It might also deserve a Limitation if that's all it does and it doesn't have any 1st or 2nd degree effects.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

Ah, of course, Transformed is much better.