Thread: [Rule's Question] Intrigue Actions

UN Basic Recipient

[Rule's Question] Intrigue Actions

Hi, people.

I'd be thankfull if you could answer these questions and help me out. Even more if you could point out where I can find the info on the book, because I would like to show it to my group.

1- Does the Assist Action allow more than one player to give a bonus? And are these cumulative?

2- Does the Manipulate Action allow the player to choose if the Technique will be with Deception or Persuasion?

3- Shield of Reputation says it's rolled against a Will's base result. Is this "base" the same as Passive Result?

4- In order to achieve a success with Fast Talk, it's necessary not only to win but to have two degrees of success (!). Don't you guys think it's too difficult? It seemed unbalanced to me, in favor of the defender. And considering that you already have to loose your turn doing that while your opponent is possibly going to damage you.

5- Some Actions, like Assist, Manipulate, Mollify, etc, say you make a Persuasion test to try to realize the Action, without specifying a Specialty. Does that mean there's no Specialty involved or that you can choose any one?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Rafael; 09-28-2018 at 10:06 PM.

OPA Belta

Re: [Rule's Question] Intrigue Actions

Here are my answers:

1) Since the Assist in Intrigue is similar to the normal Assistance rules (see p.31), I would say that the bonuses are cumulative and that usually no more than two characters can assist another, unless the Narrator rules otherwise.

2) In the Manipulate's description on p.49, it is said that a character can select the Technique that his opponent will use. The Techniques are defined on p.146 (see Table 8-3), and each technique can be used with either ability (Persuasion or Deception), so I would rule that no, you cannot select the ability used by the character for that particuler Technique. But personally, as a Narrator, I would allow it with an extra degree of success on the roll.

3) Yes, I believe that the base Will result is actually the Passive Will.

4) Well, it may be difficult, I agree, though it usually means that it cannot be used against high-willed character as they are not easily fooled and distracted. However, as the Narrator, you could Always house-rule it to remove the two degrees of success requirement.

5) Personally, when the Specialty is not specified, I ask the player to describe how he is doing it (and/or which Specialty he'd like to use) and see if that Specialty fits well with his description of the task. Otherwise, the roll is simply made without any bonus dice.

OPA Belta

Of course some players could be creative to justify why her bonus dice SHOULD be come in action... *g*
    Joke aside, you may also consider that maybe the char could invest (not burn) a destiny point to secure that his bonus dice is acepted in this case.

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks, guys.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    3- Shield of Reputation says it's rolled against a Will's base result. Is this "base" the same as Passive Result?
    No. The base result does not equal the passive Will. A base result is a roll without any specialties used.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Tubalkain View Post
    No. The base result does not equal the passive Will. A base result is a roll without any specialties used.
    Perhaps I was mistaken, I don't know, it's rather unclear actually... especially if you read the following phrasing in the Cheat specialty section of the Deception ability on p.62 of the GoT Edition of the Roleplaying Guide:

Roll a Deception test against your opponent’s base Awareness result (or your opponent’s Awareness result if he has reason to believe you are cheating).

I assumed they were referring to the Passive Awareness result, as they are specifying in parenthesis that the opponent can make an active Awareness roll instead if he is actively trying to catch the cheater. In this sentence, if a base result meant a roll without any speciality, then I don't understand why they specify again Awareness result without any reference to any specialty.

But that's just my interpretation, I may be wrong...