Thread: Numbers of superhumans in your worlds

UN Basic Recipient

Numbers of superhumans in your worlds

I would like to know the size of superhuman populations in your game worlds. And why did you choose those numbers ?

There is a question in my mind; how would the size of superhuman population effect the world?

One superhuman in a million people seems suitable for a classic superhero setting, where they are rare and mighty. 1 out of 50k being a low powered superhuman seems proper for a x-men like setting where metahumans are downtrodden.

I would appreciate your ideas on population issue.

Re: Numbers of superhumans in your worlds

I had this idea to have genetic superhumans (similar to X-Men style mutants) occur due to a specific gene-pairing that occurred 1 in every 2^23 births, which is roughly 1 in 8.4 million births, and with current population that works out to just under a thousand worldwide. Assuming a roughly even distribution around the world, that means any country with a population of 10 million or more is likely to have at least one naturally born super.

For the top 10 largest countries by population (totalling about 60% of the world):
    China - 165
    India - 154
    USA - 39
    Indonesia - 31
    Brazil/Pakistan/Nigeria - about 2 dozen each
    Bangladesh - 19
    Russia - 17
    Japan - 15

Keep in mind this is for natural births. Deliberate experiments, accidental mutations and highly motivated "nonpowered" heroes are not included.

In such a world, it's possible for supers to keep a low profile, but it's most likely that as a random and unaligned group, at least a handful will draw a lot of attention, accidentally or otherwise. Teams wouldn't be common right away, but like-minded supers that become known may seek each other out.

Discovered supers would likely come under scrutiny of their respective national governments, with each government looking to turn the supers into military assets (conscription), research subjects (experimentation), breeding stock or any combination of the three.

Distribution would have most of the supers from China and India, which is radically different from most comic book universes since many of them are US-centric. However, depending on their powers, there may be little stopping supers from moving to and being active in other countries. Some may be patriotic to their home country, some may stay where they are comfortable and/or have the most connection, but some may go where they can do the most good/make the most profit/be left alone/etc.

The mere existence of supers would fuel a lot of discovery and development in genetics, potentially sparking a sort of arms race, with the side effect of more individuals driven to seeking personal empowerment, with the ultra-rich well placed to take best advantage.

It's possible this genetic super effect has been going on for millenia, with stories of gods, prophets and other heroes of myth being supers. Current estimates are that another 100 billion homo sapiens have lived since roughly 50,000 years ago, which makes for a potential pool of another 12,000 pre-contemporary supers. It's also possible some of these historical heroes are long-lived or even immortal, or alternatively attempting to maintain their bloodlines for several generations. This gives all kinds of possibilities for Illuminati-style groups or Vandal Savage-type characters nudging history along and potentially trying to keep supers secret.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    I had this idea to have genetic superhumans (similar to X-Men style mutants) occur due to a specific gene-pairing that occurred 1 in every 2^23 births, which is roughly 1 in 8.4 million births, and with current population that works out to just under a thousand worldwide. Assuming a roughly even distribution around the world, that means any country with a population of 10 million or more is likely to have at least one naturally born super.

It's possible this genetic super effect has been going on for millenia, with stories of gods, prophets and other heroes of myth being supers. Current estimates are that another 100 billion homo sapiens have lived since roughly 50,000 years ago, which makes for a potential pool of another 12,000 pre-contemporary supers. It's also possible some of these historical heroes are long-lived or even immortal, or alternatively attempting to maintain their bloodlines for several generations. This gives all kinds of possibilities for Illuminati-style groups or Vandal Savage-type characters nudging history along and potentially trying to keep supers secret.

I like this ancient supers and gods were superhuman concept. I will include this too, I guess. By the way, will these metahumans be the only extraordinary phenomenon in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Harnos View Post
    By the way, will these metahumans be the only extraordinary phenomenon in the world?

It can be the only source of "extraordinary phenomena" if you like. By its nature, genetic supers are rare and difficult to pass on or replicate, which keeps them special. Also, supers can be the explanation for what might have been considered magic or psychic phenomena or aliens or what-have-you. Training and tech could still be competitive with at least some powers, but supers will usually have the edge.

If you want a multi-source setting, check out Ares' Mean Streets, but in the meantime . . .

Addressing other sources:
    Magic: many superpowers could appear magical and historically be referred to as magic, but in most fictional settings, magic is essentially its own science that taps into otherwise unknown energies to do a variety of things. This requires knowledge, and can therefore be taught unless it also requires some special aspect to be a mage, like a genetic tendency. You could treat your universe's Magic as the base power, but genetic supers have a natural affinity for one specialized kind of magic. This would allow for magic PCs, although they should by necessity be less powerful in any one power than similar PCs with superpowers; mage PCs should have a broad variety of spells instead of one massive power. This could also mean that magic groups or societies would be drawn to supers with a hope to study and/or control them.

Alien: The genetic anomaly that occurred 50,000 years ago and began what we consider homo sapiens could have been caused by an outside force, deliberately or accidentally, and possibly with a long-term goal. This allows for aliens and alien technology to enter into your universe.

Psychic: Mental powers could be just another aspect of genetic powers or its own thing. Maybe psychic powers are slightly more common but generally not as powerful. Or they could be quite powerful but easier to hide, which could be the influence of an ancient order of psychics.

Technology: you could use a slightly tweaked version of real world tech, or allow for greater power and variety due to the influence of supers. Some powers may manifest purely in creating extraordinary devices, which may or may not be generally usable or easily reparable. There could be artifacts built by ancient supers that seem to give powers to the wielder, which could also be a form of magic or alien tech.

Training: Generally this covers everything that is achievable by anyone that has the dedication and will to stick with it. It includes skills and martial arts, which may be its own specialized set of magic or even psychic powers.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!