Thread: Strength-based Damage powers with different descriptor types.

UN Basic Recipient

Strength-based Damage powers with different descriptor types.

I'm trying to design a power I'd like to call "Mystic Fists". The idea is that a magic-using character can have his hands summon various kinds of energy he uses (magical fire, ice, mana, etc) to destroy whatever he strikes. I'm aware I need to purchase the Variable Descriptor modifier extra.

Am I able to link a power like this to his Strength?

The game is at Power Level 10, and this character has a Strength of 4. I would like the damage of this power to be 10. Can I purchase this power at a rank of 6 and add his strength to it? Or am I not allowed to add his strength if the intent is to have his hands do different types of damage not related to physical/strength?

To state it another way, I'd like this character to be able to punch things to inflict fire damage, and add his strength to the attack. Can I do that or would I have to purchase 10 ranks of Damage because I'm not allowed to add his Strength if it does any other type of damage other than physical/strength?

Protomolecule Host

Re: Strength-based Damage powers with different descriptor types.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal View Post
    I'm trying to design a power I'd like to call "Mystic Fists". The idea is that a magic-using character can have his hands summon various kinds of energy he uses (magical fire, ice, mana, etc) to destroy whatever he strikes. I'm aware I need to purchase the Variable Descriptor modifier extra.

Am I able to link a power like this to his Strength?

The game is at Power Level 10, and this character has a Strength of 4. I would like the damage of this power to be 10. Can I purchase this power at a rank of 6 and add his strength to it? Or am I not allowed to add his strength if the intent is to have his hands do different types of damage not related to physical/strength?

To state it another way, I'd like this character to be able to punch things to inflict fire damage, and add his strength to the attack. Can I do that or would I have to purchase 10 ranks of Damage because I'm not allowed to add his Strength if it does any other type of damage other than physical/strength?
    I am assuming 3e. I tried and failed to understand the 2e equivalent, even though it's probably not more complicated.

Strength-based Damage 6, Variable Descriptor. This costs 7 points.

(This deals Damage 10, possibly lower if you're Weakened. If your tradeoff is 10, then you can't deal more Damage unless you crit.)

You only pay for 6 ranks of Damage, because you effectively bought 4 points of Damage by pumping your Strength up to 4.

The 2E version is very similar except that, for close damage, you have to spend 1 PP to gain the Mighty Power Feat, which would allow you to add your Strength bonus to that attack. Applying other Extras like Ranged or Area works like 3E with you buying the Extra up for the amount of Strength bonus you want.

UN Basic Recipient

6 points gets you Damage 10 of a physical nature and Variable Descriptor would let you change the descriptor. It's up to your GM what constitutes a closely related group of descriptors and whether physical would have to be one of them.
    Last edited by DeanH; 09-26-2018 at 05:00 AM.