Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Superteam Handbook!

OPA Belta

Re: Superteam Handbook!

Quote Originally Posted by grimmshade View Post
    Will this book be of much use if we don't use the Freedom universe? Is it mostly info about those teams?
    Since the Freedom Universe (or Earth-Prime) is a traditional "four-color" comics universe, most of the characters and concepts are pretty easily ported over to original campaigns, or even superhero settings based on DC or Marvel. Many heroes and villains play off well-known superhero archetypes, or are analogues/homages to existing characters, though with original backstories and perhaps more modern sensibilities in some cases. The very blurb from the Super-Team ad states it will include guidelines for running teams, adventure hooks, and material tailored specifically for GMs and players to put together various kinds of superhero groups.

For example, Fallout and the other nuclear powered villains from Threat Report fit pretty easily in any campaign where the government conducted a failed experiment to develop super-powered soldiers during the Cold War era; they could easily fit as enemies of Captain Atom or Firestorm if you're running a DC Adventures game.

Omega Girl's own Starblights (from Rogues Gallery) are a fusion of "kid gang" and "magical anime girls" (think of Sailor Moon or Steven Universe), and totally suitable for a lower-powered, teen hero (Teen Titans, New Mutants, Champions, etc) game. Just replace their source of powers with a similar magic or extraterrestrial artifact from your own setting. In the aforementioned Rogues Gallery, I did a bunch of villains who hail from foreign countries (Russia, Norway, Sri Lanka) so they're pretty easily introduced into a campaign with needing to tie into much in-setting history.

Bad guys like the Crime League or Thieves Guild (Deluxe Heroes Handbook) evoke super-crooks like the Legion of Doom or Flash's Rogues, so changing a few details in their backgrounds lets them fit in pretty easily.

If you're running a non-standard campaign, such as Pulp Heroes, or a heavily supernaturally themed game, GR has source books out that talk about adapting material to those approaches, and I imagine the Super-Team book will cover issues like using the characters in a non-FC setting.

All my best!

Quote Originally Posted by greycrusader View Post
    Since the Freedom Universe (or Earth-Prime) is a traditional "four-color" comics universe, most of the characters and concepts are pretty easily ported over to original campaigns, or even superhero settings based on DC or Marvel. Many heroes and villains play off well-known superhero archetypes, or are analogues/homages to existing characters, though with original backstories and perhaps more modern sensibilities in some cases. The very blurb from the Super-Team ad states it will include guidelines for running teams, adventure hooks, and material tailored specifically for GMs and players to put together various kinds of superhero groups.

For example, Fallout and the other nuclear powered villains from Threat Report fit pretty easily in any campaign where the government conducted a failed experiment to develop super-powered soldiers during the Cold War era; they could easily fit as enemies of Captain Atom or Firestorm if you're running a DC Adventures game.

Omega Girl's own Starblights (from Rogues Gallery) are a fusion of "kid gang" and "magical anime girls" (think of Sailor Moon or Steven Universe), and totally suitable for a lower-powered, teen hero (Teen Titans, New Mutants, Champions, etc) game. Just replace their source of powers with a similar magic or extraterrestrial artifact from your own setting. In the aforementioned Rogues Gallery, I did a bunch of villains who hail from foreign countries (Russia, Norway, Sri Lanka) so they're pretty easily introduced into a campaign with needing to tie into much in-setting history.

Bad guys like the Crime League or Thieves Guild (Deluxe Heroes Handbook) evoke super-crooks like the Legion of Doom or Flash's Rogues, so changing a few details in their backgrounds lets them fit in pretty easily.

If you're running a non-standard campaign, such as Pulp Heroes, or a heavily supernaturally themed game, GR has source books out that talk about adapting material to those approaches, and I imagine the Super-Team book will cover issues like using the characters in a non-FC setting.

All my best!

I own all the M&M 3e books so far, and while I use Freedom City, Emerald City, and the Atlas, I pretty much run a straight up DC Adventures game.
    I've already got so many non-DC characters between all the books, I was just wondering what percentage of this book would be new material for running team games, and what percentage would be new superteam npc's.

(I'll probably but it anyway, for completionist reasons.)

OPA Belta

So does the deluxe Heroes Handbook tell us what happened to the Katanarchists or will that info be in the Superteam Handbook?

OPA Belta

There's no update on the Katanarchists in the Deluxe Heroes Handbook; the Thieves Guild villains are given 3rd edition stats and their team history is updated a bit.

M&M Line Dev Freebooter Omega Girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grimmshade View Post
    Will this book be of much use if we don't use the Freedom universe? Is it mostly info about those teams?

Like GreyCrusader said, the book is written with Earth Prime as the backdrop, but the characters within are easily portable to any setting. None of the teams have load-bearing continuity in Earth Prime, and in fact were intentionally designed to be optional additions to the setting.

I don't have the outline in front of me right now, but if I remember, about 1/3 of the book is more general material for running team games, like practical advice and considerations for players and GMs and new rules for group actions, and the remaining 2/3 is new team write-ups, all of which include a 4-page introduction/overview that serves as a stealth campaign guide for games in that general genre (ie: UNIQUE's entry is about UNIQUE, but gives tips for running any higher-PL, globe-trotting campaign with a political background).

M&M Line Dev Freebooter Omega Girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDavidson View Post
    So does the deluxe Heroes Handbook tell us what happened to the Katanarchists or will that info be in the Superteam Handbook?
    The SuperTeam Handbook is very player-focused. There isn't much in it about villain groups.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Girl View Post
    The SuperTeam Handbook is very player-focused. There isn't much in it about villain groups.
    This just means we need more villain books

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by greycrusader View Post
    An open question: since there have been several requests regarding the Psions appearing in 3e format, is their more support for simply an updated set of stats, along with updates on their exploits in the last decade, or would fans be open to an "evolution" of the Psions, with a mix of first generation and new members?
    I would be open to either - the group could easily change over time or the could just get older like the Atoms

Like GreyCrusader said, the book is written with Earth Prime as the backdrop, but the characters within are easily portable to any setting. None of the teams have load-bearing continuity in Earth Prime, and in fact were intentionally designed to be optional additions to the setting.

I don't have the outline in front of me right now, but if I remember, about 1/3 of the book is more general material for running team games, like practical advice and considerations for players and GMs and new rules for group actions, and the remaining 2/3 is new team write-ups, all of which include a 4-page introduction/overview that serves as a stealth campaign guide for games in that general genre (ie: UNIQUE's entry is about UNIQUE, but gives tips for running any higher-PL, globe-trotting campaign with a political background).
    If, indeed, a third of it is mechanics, I suspect I will be among the audience buying the PDF even if I have scant opportunity to invoke the two thirds setting.

OPA Belta

Wink Re: Superteam Handbook!

Lots of speculation, so let me help with what I can:

• We're not doing a complete list of the teams appearing in the book just yet; that'll be for a blog post closer to the release date, but it will be a mix of teams previously mentioned in canon and new creations. I will confirm that Project Freedom (which gets a brief mention in Freedom City) is one of the teams, and we'll have one that's a transparent homage to my personal favorite low-powered hero team...
    Omega Girl's homage can only mean we'll finally get a Freedomverse version of Jack Kirby's greatest creation-The Dingbats of Danger Street!

(PS: Remember I'm the one who lobbied to get Ultra the Multi-Alien included in the last DCA book).

All my best.
    Last edited by greycrusader; 10-11-2018 at 05:58 AM.