Thread: New GM Seeking Advice

UN Basic Recipient

New GM Seeking Advice

While certainly being no stranger to RPGs and various RPG systems , I have to admit that I'm a straight up noob when it comes to M&M3E. Haven't played nor Gm'd a game in this system yet but feel confident I get/understand the system. Having been kicking around a rather ambitious endeavor inside my head (tying multiple games together in a sort of epic culminating finish) I wanted to start small ... with a street level kind of game in the vein of the Arrowverse and Marvel Netflix shows. In looking through the Heroes Handbook and supplemental materials I am not sure what power level that should be or rather what power level to begin with that players would be interested in playing.

The new Freedom City sourcebook indicates a street level campaign would begin at Power Level 6 (with maybe a 'superagent' AEGIS series being PL 8); Heroes handbook seems to indicate Power Level 8

So I guess my question is, Power Level 6 sounds like what best fits my idea for a street level game but does that allow for characters players are going to want to play (i.e. minor /special super powered characters like Netflix Luke Cage/Iron Fist)?

Protomolecule Host

Re: New GM Seeking Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Seuss View Post
    While certainly being no stranger to RPGs and various RPG systems , I have to admit that I'm a straight up noob when it comes to M&M3E. Haven't played nor Gm'd a game in this system yet but feel confident I get/understand the system. Having been kicking around a rather ambitious endeavor inside my head (tying multiple games together in a sort of epic culminating finish) I wanted to start small ... with a street level kind of game in the vein of the Arrowverse and Marvel Netflix shows. In looking through the Heroes Handbook and supplemental materials I am not sure what power level that should be or rather what power level to begin with that players would be interested in playing.

The new Freedom City sourcebook indicates a street level campaign would begin at Power Level 6 (with maybe a 'superagent' AEGIS series being PL 8); Heroes handbook seems to indicate Power Level 8

So I guess my question is, Power Level 6 sounds like what best fits my idea for a street level game but does that allow for characters players are going to want to play (i.e. minor /special super powered characters like Netflix Luke Cage/Iron Fist)?
    I don't think Luke Cage could be modeled at PL 6. He's a champion boxer, has super-strength and is virtually unkillable by damage (unless you crit him). I think for characters like Luke Cage or Iron Fist, you're looking at PL 8.

I think PL 6 is too low. An ordinary SWAT team member is probably PL 6, so is a low-level D&D wizard. I actually found it difficult to model a D&D-style fighter at even PL 6.

OPA Belta

I think PL 6 can be fine depending on the kind of feel you are going for. You can do Luke Cage at PL 6, with Impervious Toughness 12 he should be able to bounce most bullets. I've also created a few magic-using PCs at this PL; if you know the system well it works quite well. This is a good PL for "compentent adventurers" in a fantasy game as well.

If you have doubts, try to create some PCs at various PLs yourself, and simulate them against some of the thugs and soldiers in the Heroes Handbook. This should give you a feel for the level of competence you are looking for.

Protomolecule Host

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    I think PL 6 can be fine depending on the kind of feel you are going for. You can do Luke Cage at PL 6, with Impervious Toughness 12 he should be able to bounce most bullets.
    The game rules suggest limits to Defense or Toughness shifting, either +/- 50% or +/-5 depending on the edition... and Luke Cage knows how to fight, so him having a Parry Defense of 0 isn't sensible. (He could take Immunity to bullets, Limited to Half Damage, but he's not resistant only to bullets.)

UN Basic Recipient

Well speaking as someone who just played as a player i think power level 8 works better for something like a Defenders or Arrow/Flash style game, if you want them to start with some experience under they belts, aka years of training or knowing how to use well the powers. Power level 6 or 7 can work for the PCs just starting in the fighting crime bussines/getting the powers in a Kick-Ass style series at first. Like a Luke Cage who just don't have a Skin so hardened yet, or a Iron Fist who is just starting to get the Ki focus and all that.

PL 8 hits the 'Street Level' heroes like Cage just right. Enough points for skills, advantages and a few powers and/or devices. A common Soldier is PL5, with a SpecOps soldier being around PL6-7. Superheroes need more points/capability.