Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Hero initiative: Full of Sound and Fury

OPA Belta

Re: Young Hero initiative: Full of Sound and Fury

Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Paladin View Post
    The Asari looks at Kelvin. " Thank you...for the compliment and the...fix." She smiles softly. " I'm not mad at him. I asked him to do this and he did. Just not eager for a repeat performance. As for biotic powers...my kind and some others from my...home universe can manipulate dark matter and dark energy. Create small black holes, accelerate the body by making it massless...even tear material apart. Well...some of us. Both my mother and my...'father' are powerful biotics...but I...not so much."
    Anna gave a soft chuckle at that. "I'm sure you will find some others who can sympathize with the idea that people might have unreasonably high expectations for you based upon who your parents are, or what they have done." She paused for a moment and pushed her chair back from the table. "Now, if you want to see the underwater viewing area, that's cool. If not, maybe some of you might want to sit in on a class or something with us. Our school term is just starting, so it will be just as new for us. I don't promise you'll actually learn anything, but it could be neat to see how our education system works..."

OPA Belta

Helena

"I am eager to see what the educational quality is and if it measures up to New Mechanisburg standards." she said happily.
    Last edited by kirinke; 10-12-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Kelvin
    HP: 1

Kelvin shrugged, and smiled amiably. Crisis over, he was back to his customary state of hazy calm.
    "We're still kids. No pressure to be super-duper mega-powerful yet."

OPA Belta

The classes are mostly standard fare except for one „ Parahuman Psychology and Ethics“, held by one Dr. Lee Rosen, himself unpowered but an XD.
    He looks pretty much like the archetypical professor with his grey beard and glasses.

Those of you who have been here for longer than a week know that he's also the facility's resident therapist.

After coming in, he turns to the board and writes down 'Power corrupts' before turning around with a slight smile and asking, „ Comments?“

//Do your characters have any comments? You are, of course, not alone in class.

Diana & Samson
    HP/Luck 1/3 Condition Fine

In class Diana had a seat at the front, whilst with the Merge occurring she wasn't exactly a top tier intellect any more, she still tried to hold her own.

"It is the duty of those with power to rise above such things. Power should only be used to help those who cannot help themselves."

OPA Belta

"Sounds like an absolute statement," CJ says and then adds with an ironic smile: "There are no absolutes. The statement also implies that even the tiniest bit of power will cause someone to succumb to corruption. That makes no sense. More likely everyone has a threshold and only when the amount of power exceeds that threshold does corruption become possible. And finally, the very idea of corruption implies that beings exist in a state of non-corruption before they have power. Some beings start out with a tendency toward baser activities and power only makes such activities easier to accomplish. But the power itself was not the catalyst, merely an enhancer. In short, while there may be wisdom in the phrase 'Power corrupts', like most things, reality is far more complicated than that simple phrase."

(OOC: No, this is not CJ's first encounter with 'ethics'.)
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 10-13-2018 at 09:27 AM.

OPA Belta

Helena

"It is not power that corrupts, it is essentially selfishness and a lack of empathy that corrupts." she said mildly. "History has proven that. Power is just a tool, to be used to help or harm and it is the person who wields it that are good or evil, corrupt or pristine or anything in between." she smiled a little. "But if you're selfish and lack empathy, you are more likely to abuse what power you have for your own purposes. usually to the detriment of others because they do not care whom they hurt." she smiled a little

"Brother in Arms Griffin made sure that the New Mechanisburg schools had ethics in their curriculum." she added.
    Last edited by kirinke; 10-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Osamu Ryou / Mergebane
    HP: 2
    ~-----o-----~

While others in his class spoke out at the prompted question, adding their own takes to the mix, Ryou himself Sat silent and merely took notes. Even if he had his own opinions fully formed he wouldn't dare to voice them aloud, not for fear of ridicule, but for fear of more unwanted attention. There were enough unneeded looks and stares being given his way that he wasn't willing to risk be oning his class's entire focus.

Instead, his thoughts were internalized and secret. Wondering if anyone else in this school already felt that need, that desire to exercise their abilities without hindrance. For most that shouldn't have been an issue, but for him, there was just something innately wrong about rejecting their reality and subjugating his own. This morning's incident was just another example.

Was this desire that corrupting force of power? He had for years fought against it, respected the reality of the world around him and kept his scope of use limited. Was that a futile effort? Would his own power one day corrupt him to the point where he couldn't control himself? He supposed that's why they had this class to begin with.
    Last edited by Doctor Malsyn; 10-13-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    I'm a doctor of literature, clearly.

My art thread!

OPA Belta

Helena

"I think it's also one of the reasons why Jedi get into so much trouble. Even though they say they don't believe in absolutes, they really do. There has to be a happy medium between using one's powers and not harming people." she held out her hand and produced a small figurine of a lion and lamb. "Both can be dangerous in the right circumstances. But the lion has the worse image because he is a predator. Yet herbivores account for more deaths than predators. Yet they're seen as essentially cuddly, cute and harmless creatures."
    Last edited by kirinke; 10-14-2018 at 07:51 PM.

OPA Belta

After hearing some more of the other students, Rosen nods and smiles. " Okay. I must admit, that one's a bit too blatant for my tastes. But you can hear it thrown around every day once people start discussing meta- or parahumans. Now...this here...is more accurate, I think."

He wipes off the word 'corrupts' and writes down ' changes'.

" I think you'll find the statement much harder to deny now. For some, the changes may be physical, for others they may be mental...but getting powers always leaves a mark. And that, basically, is what this class will be about. How to deal with the way power changes you, how power changes the world around you and how this change can be beneficial instead of harmful."