Thread: "Stunt" actions always AE's?

"Stunt" actions always AE's?

I keep coming back to this question...

Let's say a hero wants to pick up an empty semi trailer and slam it, open end first, over a villain to trap them inside.
    Would this be a power stunt with Extra Effort? Thus an Affliction AE off Strength.
    Or, would you use the rules in some other way to simulate this stunt? Roll to hit, if you succeed villain has to find a way out, etc.

Re: "Stunt" actions always AE's?

In general, if the player wants to decide what happens, I'd say it would be an AE. More incidental actions, the GM is free to say "OK, if you hit, we'll treat that as a Snare 5" or "OK, you can make a trip attempt on all three of the bank robbers standing on the carpet although you're at a -3 on your Strength check due to the extra weight". If players start looking to use that kind of trick all of the time, reduce its efficacy or introduce non-recompensed Complications as the city starts raising a stink about things like destroying a $150 parking meter to tie up a robber who took a single purse that had $13 in cash in it.

That's a great way of looking at it!
    Thanks for the tips.

Protomolecule Host ArmoredAnathema's Avatar

There are rules for this sort of situation scattered in a couple places like the Power Profiles (page 191) and the Gadget Guides (page 11).

Basically, I feel a stunt with the environment in itself has its own built in limiting Flaw. I would say that it would be unnecessary to add fatigue or hero point cost to something a hero could already do without.

Something with a carpet for example would in itself require the appropriate item to do said maneuver, and it's only a one use deal to begin with.

I feel that simply allowing these things within reason rather helps spice up combat a bit.

OPA Belta

Keep in mind that objects have traits of their own. A rope is good at tying people up (Improved Hold), a streetlight is long and heavy (STR-based Damage with Reach), etc. If they're just using the innate properties of an improvised weapon, that's not a stunt of any type.

I have both of those books, I'll check the pages listed when I get home.

Great advice from those two posts!

So I'm thinking for something like the trailer stunt, it would just be a roll to hit, and maybe a strength or Dodge save to avoid, and then the victim is just trapped requiring either strength to lift the trailer or something to break through the sides? (Rather than making it an Affliction or something, which doesn't for all that great honestly)