Thread: Slow poke?

Protomolecule Host

Slow poke?

This power concept is that you poke the moving target & transfer most of the targets speed to yourself!
    What do you think & how would you make this power better?

Protomolecule Host

Re: Slow poke?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe ray View Post
    This power concept is that you poke the moving target & transfer most of the targets speed to yourself!
    What do you think & how would you make this power better?
    Similar to Absorption.

Affliction X (Hindered and Dazed, Immobilized and Stunned), Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Linked to Enhanced Speed X, Fades.

I think. But that's two different power ranges.

Linked isn't quite the right move, mechanically speaking.

What you want is a separate Speed power with a Flaw, Limiting its use to when the Affliction is successful.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

OPA Belta

Linked could actually work, if the intent is "they stop moving, I move". But in that case I'd be building it as Broad Reduced Range Nullify Limited to countering linked to Speed Limited to target's speed and only on successful counter.

OPA Belta

Why not linked to weaken which actually has a PP counting affect built in?

OPA Belta

Of course the inherent problem with all absorption affects is they cost the same, or more, than just buying the power straight.

power a: speed 10; limited - PP only available as absorbed from weaken (power b); cost = 5pp
    power b: weaken 10; limited - Total PP absorbed from ALL targets cannot exceed (power a) ranks; cost = 5pp

versus

speed 10; cost= 10 pp.

(Oh and you don't want linked as that only determines when a power fires. speed is powered when you move. And weaken is just a normal standard action.)
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 09-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Protomolecule Host

Would this power concept work on non-living objects that move, like say a car or a bullet?

UN Basic Recipient

I had a similar idea recently myself, only I may have been more invested in doing the whole speedster suite than you might be. It's weirdly difficult to figure out, and I had to approach it from a few different angles. In the end, this is what I came up with:

That Which is Owed to the Hummingbird Thief (spell): Weaken Movement Traits 8 (broad, incurable, check required: Expertise: Magic 5, limited to only after spilling the person’s blood) • 4 points

Paynal's Song (spell effect): Dynamic Array (8 points) • 24 points total
    • Enhanced Speed 16, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 8 points (1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Enhanced Winged Flight 16, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 2 points (1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Enhanced Multiattack Strength-based Damage 4, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement, precise, penetrating 4 • 2 points (1 + 1 point per additional rank + 1/rank of penetrating)
    • Enhanced Dodge 14, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement, precise • 2 points (1 + 1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Enhanced Parry 8, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 2 points (1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Enhanced Quickness 14, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement, precise • 2 points (1 + 1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Enhanced Advantage (Improved Initiative) 16, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 2 points (1 point per 2 ranks)
    • Movement 2 (wall-crawling, water-walking), limited to while moving, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 2 points.
    • Concealment 4 (visual), limited to while moving, limited to power points drained with Weaken Movement • 2 points

You can see more stats and background on my blog here: The Hummingbird Thief (PL 8 as a PC; PL 9, I think, as an NPC)
    either e/em/eir pronouns or fey/fem/fear pronouns
    {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Many gods, no masters. Re-enchantment or bust!
    "So I don’t even want to hear about reality. I don’t want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"