Thread: Regeneration Questions

MCRN Admiral

Regeneration Questions

Hey all! I've just started GMing after building characters for like 12 years, and I had some questions about the use of Regeneration in play:

A few characters took Regeneration, which I know is a notorious "too cheap for what you get" power. Both at small ranks, because neither is a power-gamer and wanted to overwhelm things. BUT...

1) At what point of the round does the Regenerating kick in? A guy with Regeneration 2 recovers once every five rounds, but... does he recover on his turn in the Initiative order? At the beginning of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn of the guy who hit him?

2) Do the "negatives to Toughness" (hereafter referred to as "Bruises") get taken off simultaneously to the Dazed/Staggered/Incapacitated stuff, or separately? I was reading the wording to mean that you removed all the Bruises one-by-one, at which point you then healed from the Conditions, but another player indicated he thought it meant that you removed a Bruise AND, say, a Staggered condition, all at once. That seemed way over-powered to me, but then, the game allows for pretty handy recovery anyhow.

I already basically ruled that it's on a player's Initiative order, and that you recover from Bruises, THEN Conditions once your Bruises are gone. I think those are both more fair, and easier to use. But I'm curious as to the "proper" way.
    Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
    http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

OPA Belta

Re: Regeneration Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Hey all! I've just started GMing after building characters for like 12 years, and I had some questions about the use of Regeneration in play:

A few characters took Regeneration, which I know is a notorious "too cheap for what you get" power. Both at small ranks, because neither is a power-gamer and wanted to overwhelm things. BUT...

1) At what point of the round does the Regenerating kick in? A guy with Regeneration 2 recovers once every five rounds, but... does he recover on his turn in the Initiative order? At the beginning of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn of the guy who hit him?

2) Do the "negatives to Toughness" (hereafter referred to as "Bruises") get taken off simultaneously to the Dazed/Staggered/Incapacitated stuff, or separately? I was reading the wording to mean that you removed all the Bruises one-by-one, at which point you then healed from the Conditions, but another player indicated he thought it meant that you removed a Bruise AND, say, a Staggered condition, all at once. That seemed way over-powered to me, but then, the game allows for pretty handy recovery anyhow.

I already basically ruled that it's on a player's Initiative order, and that you recover from Bruises, THEN Conditions once your Bruises are gone. I think those are both more fair, and easier to use. But I'm curious as to the "proper" way.
    1: The book doesn't specify. Picking something and sticking to it is the best you can do.
    2: You're correct. The bruise counts as a separate condition from the Dazed/Staggered/Incapacitated.

OPA Belta

Technically, regeneration forces you to remove wounds (bruises) first and only when they are all healed does regen affect conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by DHB pg 123
    You recover quickly from damage. Remove penalties to your Toughness checks due to damage equal to your Regeneration rank each minute. You then recover other damage conditions equal to your Regeneration rank each minute, starting from your most severe condition. (Emphasis added)
    Healing works the opposite way. It recovers conditions before wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DHB pg 110
    Each degree of success healing one Damage condition, starting with the subject’s worst condition, and working down, as if the subject were recovering rapidly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB pg 199
    Living targets remove one damage condition per minute of rest, starting from their most severe condition and working back. So a damaged character recovers from
    being incapacitated, then staggered, dazed, and finally removes a –1 Toughness check penalty per minute until fully recovered. The Healing and Regeneration effects can speed this process.

The last time I reread the Regeneration section, I got thrown a bit over the wording with that then where I initially thought maybe 3E had changed things up so that you recovered twice as fast each minute. :-D

OPA Belta

I think the reversal of order is why regen doesn't have a die roll. It fixes the least immediately important issues first. If you start with 3 wounds and incapacitated, do you want to get back in the fight faster or resolve you toughness issues faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya B View Post
    1: The book doesn't specify. Picking something and sticking to it is the best you can do.
    Personally, I would recommend making Regen count full rounds of the Regenerator. In the case of your Regen 2, the Regenerator's round immediately after the Condition is inflicted would count as the first of 5 rounds. This keeps the bookkeeping simple in the common case of multiple hits.

I would also recommend that the removal of the Conditions occur at the end of the Regenerator's round. In practice, this means that even a Regen 10 PC would spend one round influenced by the inflicted conditions before they start to be removed. This is partly a nod to how cheap Regen is; IMHO if the player wants their PC to be totally unaffected by certain attacks or conditions, they should buy Defenses/Immunities, not a ton of Regeneration. Again using your example, the Regen 2 PC would be influenced by the inflicted Condition for 5 rounds of their actions before the Condition was removed.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Protomolecule Host

Lightbulb Re: Regeneration Questions

It is not clearly indicated anywhere. However, resistance checks to recover from ongoing effects takes place at the End Of Turn. This is a natural place for Regeneration damage recovery to occur also.

It is seperately. You first recover your regeneration rank of Toughness penalties (Bruises) each minute, spread out over the 10 rounds, and only when you have done that, then you begin recovering your regeneration rank of other conditions (starting with the most serious), each minute, spread out over the 10 rounds.

So if Reggie has 4 bruises and is staggered, he will recover a bruise every 5 turns and then recover from the staggering ... unless of course he's suffered more damage in the mean time.
    Last edited by Greyman; 09-21-2018 at 07:05 AM.